F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

changed the bike oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed the bike oil?

i thought i'd be nice to her and flush the oil so i changed the oil but not the filter while my bike was down last week waitin for a rear tire. well i slightly overfilled it maybe by 1/2 quart or so. the level is slightly over the sight glass window. i'm gonna change the filter and oil again when i reach 2000 miles. right now i have about 1590 miles on the bike.i don't want to drain any because i'm lazy, don't have time,and the drain bolt is torqued so i'd need a new crush washer. i like to change it everytime the drain plug is removed. could this amount of overfill hurt anything?[&:]thanks

Old 06-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Default RE: changed the bike oil?

no it wont hurt anything. Most people that stunt overfill by a quart instead of getting an oil pickup and have no problems at all.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too much is no good...just some is fine.
why are you so lazy?
if you had a fumoto valve on the bike then you just turn the ****, let oil out and then close! tada! but it will sit a bit lower than stock.
if you had a mighty vac you can suck out from the filler hole.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:35 PM

old, fat, crazy and lazy, yup. i work too damn much and when i get home its mighty wifey time. i was lookin in the sevice manual and it said to properly check the oil:warm the bike up for a few minutes, shut it off, then check that the oil is near the top mark. the owners manual says basically the same thing but adds to let the bike sit for a couple minutes after shutting it off then check the level. if you follow the service manual the level is always gonna be about 1/2 quart high. believe it or not, i used to work at a bike stealership and they always checked the oil level via the service manual method and so have i. honda needs to man up and get chit straight. which way is correct, go figure.[&:]

Old 06-27-2007, 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: ninetyfivehp

old, fat, crazy and lazy, yup. i work too damn much and when i get home its mighty wifey time. i was lookin in the sevice manual and it said to properly check the oil:warm the bike up for a few minutes, shut it off, then check that the oil is near the top mark. the owners manual says basically the same thing but adds let the bike sit for a couple minutes after shutting it off then check the level. if you follow the service manual the level is always gonna be about 1/2 quart high. believe it or not, i used to work at a bike stealership and they always checked the oil level via the service manual method and so have i. honda needs to man up and get chit straight. which way is correct, go figure.[&:]
bump.
anybody know the correct method or does it even matter? all the techs i've talked to follow the service manual? any techs out there?[&:]

Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 PM

you need to shut it and then give it a few until the oil drips back into the pan to get a good reading.

if you do it the first method, it will always read low since the oil hasn't returned to the pan.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 PM

tech Tahoe, thanks for throwin your two-cents in. now i'm just wondering which method is better if either. i've seen 'certified'[8D] techs run a motor for 45 seconds, shut it down, then immediately check the oil level. if it wasn't at the full mark they'd add some. i've also seen people run the motor, shut it down, then wait a few minutes before checking. i'm freakin perplexed as to the descrepency from the service manual to the owners manual. i guess everbody's either ridin around with too much oil or not enough oil. cheers bro

Old 06-27-2007, 08:46 PM

damnit, so i guess i'll have to drain some to be safe. man, the wife hates oil spills on the garage floor

Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 PM

siphon it out from the filler hole mang!