General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changed my exhaust, bike wont start..

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed my exhaust, bike wont start..

so.. i bought a used 2003 CBR 600RR

It came with a ****ty aftermarket exhaust which was all beat up so i decided to replace it with the original stock exhaust.

I removed the aftermarket exhaust, put the original exhaust back on and the bike wouldnt start..

Ive been doing a little research and it seems to be the o2 sensor or something with the o2 sensor? If somebody could help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks -J

Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Just a guess, but putting the stock exhaust back on would not cause your bike to not start up. I am not trying to insult you but make sure your not overlooking the obvious.
1. Are both switches on, key and fuel pump, is the starter turning over at all.
2. Could you have somehow disconnected the kick stand kill switch.
3. Did you do anything else to the bike at the same time you switched the pipe.
4. Does it sound like it wants to start or just nothing.
5. Is the battery fully charged and have plenty of gas.
6. Does the bike have a power commander on it?
7. Are you sure it is in neutral when you are trying to start it.
8. Have you checked your fuses to see if something blew.

A couple weeks ago I pushed my bike out of the basement getting ready to ride, turned on the ignition and fuel pump switch, everything was lite up like it was supposed to be. I hit the start button and everything went dead, no prower whatsoever. The battery shorted out, bought a new one and everything is fine again.

Give more information about the symptons so we can try to help you.
Tom

Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 PM

The reason i thought it was the exhaust was because i read something previously about a guy who changed his exhaust and it wouldnt start..

I also removed all the fairings so your right, something might have disconnected.. The wiring on the bike is kind of crappy.. how would i check the kickstand kill switch? im thinking that might be it..

when i turn the key everything lights up and also it sounds like it wants to turn over but no gas.. its an 03 cbr 600rr im pretty sure its fuel injected and doesnt have a on/off switch but im not positive i just got it..

thanks again!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 PM

and yes i checked the fuses everything seemed fine.. it was running perfect before i removed the fairings and took off the exhaust..

Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the oxygen sensor doesnt do much of anything until it is warmed up I believe.. check the side stand switch plug.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you hear the fuel pump prime? My guess is a side stand switch. Make sure its in neutral or gear and push in the clutch lever and see if it starts when you hold the lever.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

BAS (bank angle sensor) also known as a tip over sensor on the front fairing could've been put back on upside down. this will prevent your fuel pump from priming.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Krux
can you hear the fuel pump prime? My guess is a side stand switch. Make sure its in neutral or gear and push in the clutch lever and see if it starts when you hold the lever.
i held in the clutch and still wont start.. and im looking at the kickstand but seems the the plug is in..

i took off the front panel of the bike and there were alot of cords.. could something up there effect it from starting>

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM

this may sound stupid but try it with the choke on

Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 PM

Im with havoc, if you pulled your headlight off anyway.... the bas will prevent the bike from starting.. However, if the bike is not cranking over, its not the bas, as that only stops the fuel pump from priming, not cranking over. the bas can be unhooked and the bike will still crank over fine.

03 cbr 600rr im pretty sure its fuel injected and doesnt have a on/off switch but im not positive i just got it..
yes, it is fuel injected. And yes, it does have a killswitch. Its located on the right hand side clipon, right next the throttle.

i held in the clutch and still wont start.. and im looking at the kickstand but seems the the plug is in..
was the bike in neutral? If the bike was in gear, it will still have to have the kickstand in up, not down. As soon as the kickstand goes down and the bike is in gear, it will shut the bike off, and not allow the bike to start. A saftey feature to prevent people from driving off with their kickstand down.

this may sound stupid but try it with the choke on
Dont think there is a choke on a 600RR, its fuel injected.

Quick Reply: changed my exhaust, bike wont start..