F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CCTL or Worse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCTL or Worse?

Well i just bought a 2001 f4i with 20,000 miles on it . Very clean bike everything looks great but i have been noticing the infamous rattling noise that seems to come from under the gas tank between 4-6k RPMS. I had only noticed this when i was driving it, so from what i read i needed to replace the CCT. But i was changing the oil the other day and when i had the bike in the garage i revved it up and between 4-6k RPM i heard the same noise as when i do when riding. (or i think it is the same noise)

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?? does this still sound like just the CCT? or somthing worse? And is it somthing that may be harmful to my new baby>??

Please let me know any comments about my post All is very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 06-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CCTL or Worse?

hey mang...
when you ride, take it up to 9k in first, then let go, let it engine brake...if it's cctl as the RPMs get lower you'll start hearing this crazy rattle, sounds like coming from under the tank area...and it will get lower around 6k and then slowly fade away.

is it bad for your baby? depends who you ask. some say it's cause the cctl isn't putting enough tension on the chain so the chain is slapping around...others say it's the tip of the cctl rattling that's causing the noise...who's right? dunno...but for F4is...i haven't heard of one person who's cctl actually failed. one person claimed it as that's what the dealer told him, and only after like 200 miles or something...but from what he said...sounded like other things were wrong with the bike and the dealer just blamed it on the cctl.

what do i think? i say just change it out, and do the mod to the new cctl so the tip won't ever move...or go with the APE...be careful with the APE as you can overtighten it or it can back out on you. i do know of 1 case where the APE was too tight and it killed the motor.

good luck! do a search and you'll find lots of useful information on the CCTL.