F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Carbon Fiber Wrap/Vinyl thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmds18
Not to be offensive or try to start anything but as far as carbon fiber goes I feel like its starting to be over played... Which is why i decided to remove all my cf from my build...

but to each his own
its nice when done in moderation. too much looks awful. pick a few key parts to use it on and it can make a world of difference.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by canhead64
its nice when done in moderation. too much looks awful. pick a few key parts to use it on and it can make a world of difference.

if i were to ever use cf on my bike ide use it where it counts... fairings, wheels, exhaust, tank, basically what its meant for lol reducing weight

Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18
if i were to ever use cf on my bike ide use it where it counts... fairings, wheels, exhaust, tank, basically what its meant for lol reducing weight
yip, exactly my point. when i get enough money saved up i'm going for an actual CF muffler. just wanted something to hold me over for awhile. i wrapped my shock canister too. it looks pretty slick. i had some cf bar ends which looked cool but i think it was only because they were pointed. (don't ever by bar ends that don't have a bolt going all the way through them.....they will wiggle loose and fall off....even if u used locktite )

Old 05-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To not start a CF war, I'll say this. I like the look of it yes, in moderation. Fake or real, as long as it looks good and is functional/durable I don't care.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM
July 2008 ROTM

You need five key things when it comes to vinyl wrapping:

1) Patience.
2) A good vinyl (that CF 3M stuff is excellent).
3) Patience.
4) A good heat source (heat gun, NOT hair dryer).
5) Patience.

Oh, and a badass razor blade is handy, something small.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by canhead64
i spent about 3 hours wrapping my muffler with this stuff. overlapped the seam on the inside towards the wheel and cut out around the rivets. i have the autobody guys fooled into thinikin its real carbon fiber. it looks damn good. i'll take a pic later.

forget about wrapping the upper fairings with this stuff though cause it has no stretch unless you heat it up. and even then its still a bith
Thanks Canhead, yes one of ideas was wrapping my exhaust. Currently its a plain aluminum Yoshi TRS, while the rest of the bike is a metallic red and black, so the exhaust really sticks out like a sore thumb at the moment. Did you have any issues with the heat coming off the exhaust damaging/melting the wrap?

Originally Posted by Zero1080
To not start a CF war, I'll say this. I like the look of it yes, in moderation. Fake or real, as long as it looks good and is functional/durable I don't care.
Couldn't agree more. Of course I'd like to buy real CF bits, but working part time, going to school, and living on my own, I don't have much extra money left over to throw at my bike projects/mods. So like canhead stated, it would probably only be temporary, and in moderation. Parts I was thinking of are the exhaust, shock reservoir canister, top of the triple tree, and maybe part of the frame or swingarm. Nothing too crazy.

Originally Posted by Aken
You need five key things when it comes to vinyl wrapping:

1) Patience.
2) A good vinyl (that CF 3M stuff is excellent).
3) Patience.
4) A good heat source (heat gun, NOT hair dryer).
5) Patience.

Oh, and a badass razor blade is handy, something small.

Thanks Aken, very practical info. You guys are awesome.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:16 AM

nope i ride it for 40 minutes to school everyday, at least two hours straight on the weekends, and even in the rain a few times. hasn't faded or started to peel or melted or anything. tip: take the muffler off and get a washrag and some soap. then air dry, and then use some alcohol on it just to make sure its super clean. start at the center of the side you mostly going to see. work your way towards the edges but not all the way at first.

do about a 2 inch path across it and then start trying to get in around the rivets with an exacto knife or something similiar. how long you spend working on the rivets will either make or break the whole deal seeing as if they are done wrong you will have air pockets and wrinkles in it.

good luck dude!!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
Spend the money doing something constructive... or just get your legs waxed to match your CF clad bike.
Thanks, that made me pee just a little

Old 05-07-2010, 11:38 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

only words i have of caution when ur wrapping something... think about alot of "what ifs" like what if u wrapped a fairing or a pipe in it and then a rock jumped up and clipped it? would you be okay with the vinyl ripping and showing the base material???? perhaps paint whatever ur wrapping black first so if this happens its kinda hidden??