F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Camshaft re-installation

Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there is definetly contact between a valve bucket and a cam lobe when I am installing my camshafts. Do I just thread the bolts and slowly tighten them so that it pulls the camshaft keeper down onto the head evenly? Is my engine not in the right time?

When i took the camshaft keeper off it did not come off in a level manner, it was kind high on the left side and lower on the right. I am really worried at the moment. the intake and exhaust marks are in line with the head.

Also, i lost one of the copper crush washers somewhere. Hopefully not down inside the engine.

Edit number two.

SO i found the crush washer. Just for reference of anyone who may read this with the same problem in the future, the copper sealing washers are not large enough to fit through the spark plug hole and get into the combustion chamber. I found mine on its side next to the spark plug in cyl one.

And after taking the camshaft out and rotating it, i could not find a position where no valves are being depressed when the cam is installed. So i am just worrying myself. I just need to tighten the bolts so that the camshaft keeper comes down evenly onto the cylinder head.

And chainstrecher, you are the man for helping me through this. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MC_spirited; 04-02-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwayers
just go step by step by your manual

did you put your bike at TDC on cylinder 1 before you took out your camshafts?
What happens if you didnt put it at TDC? I was replacing a bent crankshaft and could not set myself at TDC. I was lucky enough to reach the bolt for the camshaft sprocket.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's an old post. Doubt if the OP is still around.

If the cams and crankshaft are both out, it doesn't matter. You'll set timing on reinstallation. The issue would be if you tried to reinstall the cams:

1) In a different orientation than when they were removed
2) In the correct orientation, but after the crank had been moved

In both cases, the solution is to set timing at reassy. When you install the crank, leave it at TDC. Then when you install the cams, install them at TDC. Turn the engine by hand a couple times to make sure the pistons aren't crashing into the valves. It's not too tricky

Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MC_spirited
Should I get new spark plug hole O rings and sealing washers for the camshaft keeper as PER the manual?
doesn't hurt to get new sealing washers for plugs mate. That is not expensive. I reused the camcover gasket though, even though I had bought one. The problem with that was I didn't have proper sealant and if the fitment is not 100% there may be oil leaks, so better leave the original which is already seated and has a proper seal