F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Brakes Locking Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Locking Up

Alright, I think it may just be me, but maybe not.

So a while ago, about 2 or 3 months ago, I was going down a long stretch of road, wasn't paying attention to the front of me because there was construction going on on the side of the roads so I quickly looked to see what that was about, then I hit the brakes because there was a red light. My rear tire started to fishtail, but I made it in time to the crosswalk, so I was all good. I locked up the brakes and let them go and then applied firm steady pressure. That was the first time I had ever fishtailed out that crazy and locked up.

Anyways, lately, it seems like my brakes lock up easy. They locked up, about 3 or 4 times, on me today while I was riding to an event and coming back from the event. Sometimes when I'm also leaning into a turn (or close to), it'll sometimes feel like I'm still fishtailing out (maybe it's just me because a few minutes after my first fishtail happened, it still felt like i was sliding out), not a major wobble feeling, but a slight one.

My question is, is it all just me or is there really something wrong with my brake lines and swingarm? My friend said he can't feel anything when he rides, but maybe he just hasn't experienced it before....?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaks

Well I think a little more info is needed.Did you check to see how much pad life you have left?If your pads are worn the caliper can extend to far and I think that could make the break drag.Also rotors, are they with in spec's mine say min thickness on them, I think its 5.5mm.Fluid also I have heard that old fluid or improper dot. can screw the breaks up as well.I would also check rear adjustment.Now I am no service tech. or anything just some stuff I pick up along the way of having a few bikes.Now for the mental part I got a flat in the rear tire last year for the first time and it seem like from then on if I got into a rut or uneven pavement I thought I had another flat it took me like two weeks to get over it just kind of freaked me out.So yea I guess some could be your brain working over time.Let me know the rest of the info and I will help you research if you dont get it by then.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You shoudn't be using your rear brake so much to begin with. In a panic stop like the light sure but entering a corner no. Until I payed attention to my moves during canyon runs I didn't relize how much rear brake I was using when I actually had my foot over the pedal.