F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

brake stuck when parked for a while??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing I'd do is stop asking questions online and get that bike in for immediate service. Your last pics scares the **** out of me. First off, those square marks are from where the pad pressing against the rotor, meaning the pistons seized. You also have what I'm guessing is fork oil reside going down the fork and onto/into the caliper. Looking real close at that last pic, is that an oil drop at the bottom of the fork opposite of the pinch bolts??

Dude I could be wrong on most everything, but you dont want me to be right when you really need that front brake.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by singram
The first thing I'd do is stop asking questions online and get that bike in for immediate service. Your last pics scares the **** out of me. First off, those square marks are from where the pad pressing against the rotor, meaning the pistons seized. You also have what I'm guessing is fork oil reside going down the fork and onto/into the caliper. Looking real close at that last pic, is that an oil drop at the bottom of the fork opposite of the pinch bolts??

Dude I could be wrong on most everything, but you dont want me to be right when you really need that front brake.
Didn't notice that drop looking thing!! I don't know if it's a drop or not It's not wet at all though and won't come off like I imagined oil would.

I tried to call the place with my fork seal but they're closed today. I've been trying to get in there for a while but they keep giving me the run around and telling me to bring it in so they can work on it a week or more later. I don't want to be bikeless for that long so I'm just waiting until they have an open enough schedule to fix my bike in a day or two. After I change this fork seal I'm just gonna find another shop, this one hasn't been good.

What's the worst case scenario riding in this condition?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by theadamie
Didn't notice that drop looking thing!! I don't know if it's a drop or not It's not wet at all though and won't come off like I imagined oil would.

I tried to call the place with my fork seal but they're closed today. I've been trying to get in there for a while but they keep giving me the run around and telling me to bring it in so they can work on it a week or more later. I don't want to be bikeless for that long so I'm just waiting until they have an open enough schedule to fix my bike in a day or two. After I change this fork seal I'm just gonna find another shop, this one hasn't been good.

What's the worst case scenario riding in this condition?
Well, 2 equally bad scenarios that come to mind. One would be unexpected brake failure caused by pad/rotor contamination. Next up(if the fork seals are leaking bad enough)would be fork oil on the front tire. I'll let you use your own imagination on the possible outcomes.

I definitely hear you on not wanting to be bikeless for any amount of time. The problem is, approaching spring, everybody and their brother is looking to get their bikes on the road. The good news is, fork seals and a caliper rebuild are typical maintenance items. The caliper rebuild a novice could probably tackle on their own following the shop manual(pdf version available for free), the forks seals on the other hand are best left to someone with the experience and tools.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to visibly say if the forks are leaking or not. You should be able to examine them closely and see if they are cracked, dry rotted (Very common for bikes of our age, (like mine sat for 4 years untouched and a good bit of if not all the rubber has some rotting/cracking, including the tires). Secondly, can you see or feel oil around the seals, under the seals, on the fork housing. If its a leak that bad you will be able to tell.

If its not that, then it has to be something else. More than likely a piston, or seal. I hate to see money get thrown away on labor for something that can be done with a manual at home, if you are comfortable that is. Draining, dismantling, cleaning reassembly and bleeding of the calipers/brakes is a novice leveled task. The manual describes it well and its good to get to know a part you may have not before.

But if you are not comfortable just get it done with the fork seals that you have done. Do both even if only one is leaking, its good practice to do the whole forks. How smooth does the rotor feel? With the finger is it feeling pitted at all?

-Poss

Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't want to be bikeless for that long

You really shouldn't be riding it anyway. You have a pretty dangerous situation there.

Either fix it yourself, or take it somewhere and wait for them to do it. Do it now....