F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

brake stuck when parked for a while??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake stuck when parked for a while??

twice now after leaving my bike parked for a while it wouldn't just roll out of the garage. When I tried to roll it "backwards" the suspension just compressed. Both times I had to sort of jerk it backwards and then I heard a pop followed by a metal on metal friction sound that I guess is coming from the front wheel. What's causing this? I'm still new to motorcycles and I probably missed some maintenance that I need.

I know I have a bad fork seal. I probably need to top up the brake fluid on my front brake but I don't really know how or if they need to be bled or not. besides that I don't know of anything wrong. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Last edited by theadamie; 03-15-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done any maintence on the brakes since you got it? This sounds like a stuck piston to me. When you are pulling it into its final destination are you pulling the front brakes? Determine what brake is sticking first. Also, you do not notice anything when riding?

I would pop off your front calipers and check that the pistons are operation correctly. After checking, just go ahead and clean them since you have them off. Check the rotors as well. We can all not be very sure of how PO's cared for bikes. We can only do the proper maint when we have them.

How does your lever feel? Is it spongy? How much pull is in the lever? How much pull from fully out to engage? Then when fully engaged, how far from the bar?

The spongy feeling is going to indicate air in your bleed lines. Possibly a bad bleed valve, possibly bad brake lines. Could also indidcate fualty master cylinder. All just a bunch of coulds though untill you determine what is doing what and the best way to do that is get it apart.

Just be weary that when you seperate the calipers that those are ALOC bolts holding them together. Honda specifys you should replace them but I have read many places that a good few uses you can get out of them so long as they are not warped or stretched or have damaged threads. Always apply a medium strenght (blue) loctite thread locker to rotating and vibrating bolts.

-Poss

Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's not right, whatever it is. Stand in front of the motorcycle when you push it back and pin-point the sound. It should be able to discern where it's coming from, and it should be mostly likely the brakes.

As Possible said, it's most likely a stuck piston on the brakes that's binding the pads on the rotors.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
Done any maintence on the brakes since you got it? This sounds like a stuck piston to me. When you are pulling it into its final destination are you pulling the front brakes? Determine what brake is sticking first. Also, you do not notice anything when riding?

I would pop off your front calipers and check that the pistons are operation correctly. After checking, just go ahead and clean them since you have them off. Check the rotors as well. We can all not be very sure of how PO's cared for bikes. We can only do the proper maint when we have them.

How does your lever feel? Is it spongy? How much pull is in the lever? How much pull from fully out to engage? Then when fully engaged, how far from the bar?

The spongy feeling is going to indicate air in your bleed lines. Possibly a bad bleed valve, possibly bad brake lines. Could also indidcate fualty master cylinder. All just a bunch of coulds though untill you determine what is doing what and the best way to do that is get it apart.

Just be weary that when you seperate the calipers that those are ALOC bolts holding them together. Honda specifys you should replace them but I have read many places that a good few uses you can get out of them so long as they are not warped or stretched or have damaged threads. Always apply a medium strenght (blue) loctite thread locker to rotating and vibrating bolts.

-Poss
- I don't brake before pulling into the final destination, I have to roll the bike through a door.
-Spongy? This is my first street bike but things feel okay and I have plenty of stopping power. I'll have to check to see at exactly what point the front brake engages.

ehhhh, I may just take it into a shop if things get worse, I'm a little afraid of messing with my brakes.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to pop the cylinder out if the backing of the brake pad is that thin Chinese cheap-o type you sometimes come across? If you ave leaky seals they will over time let oil run down the fork and onto the brakes and pads and then spread across the disc making an unwanted lubed brake. While that very bad it may be a clue to your problem. If it is "squeaking or grinding" sounding then there's a chance your pads are beyond used and are rubbing backing pad to metal. Can you see scrape marks on the discs, run your thumb over them to check for gouges etc. now if they are so well used is it possibly there was enough play in them to let the cylinder pop. That would certainly make it jam. Like possible f4i said. Best pull em apart and take a look

Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 AM

Yep the blown fork seal will leak it's way down to the brakes and cause issues, but try bleeding them to see if it gets better.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 AM

Yeah your gonna want to address a couple things ASAP. I had the same symptoms your describing with my ZX6 a couple years ago. Turned out the rubber sealant o-ring around a piston somehow dislodged preventing the piston from reseating. I ended up quickly wearing a new set of pads down to the metal badly scoring the rotor.

RedBaron brought up a good point about leaking fork oil as a possible cause. Either way get it looked at. You could be in for nasty surprise if that oil fouls the pads and/or rotor.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 PM

ughhh... I gave it a better look in the daylight and I think something is wrong.... It looks bad I think. Why don't you guys let me know what you think...

Name:  20140317_113153_zpse9e4bcbb.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  110.9 KB

Name:  20140317_113200_zpsedd83ead.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  96.0 KB

Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 PM

I'm betting that square mark on the top rotor is what made the pop sound....fuarkkkk... If the rotors are scored can I just keep using them anyways? Or maybe just flip them over and use the other side? lol

Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 PM

NVM! These aren't scored in and I think I have at least some pad left, not sure how much is normal, good, or bad. I saw the post above and panicked, went outside, looked, took pictures, then uploaded them on here without actually touching them *facepalm*.
It's just black marks but they don't come off with ma' spitty finger. Is that normal or is that from the fork seal?

Quick Reply: brake stuck when parked for a while??