F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Brake lever problem, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lever problem, need advice.

Afternoon, gents. I was attempting to change my levers back to the stock ones just for fun and to compare the feel of them to the CNC shorty levers I've been riding with for a few months now and realized that the brake lever doesn't have anything to engage the brake. The underside of the brake lever has some holes that look like something is supposed to go in to reach out and push the thing (sorry, don't know the actual part name) on the brake reservoir. I'm sure somebody will know what I'm talking about. I'm wondering if that is a par that can be ordered or if I need to order a new lever (or set of levers). I see some cheap ones on ebay and around the parts sites, I'm not that fond of spending $27 per lever for OEM though.. Not when it looks like you can get a set on fleabay for about $15. Any recommendations?

Ps. I totally get the argument for not running cheaply made Chinese stuff, especially when it comes to braking or tires etc. but I can't imagine the quality of the ebay 'OEM style' levers could be that much lower than the Honda OEM ones. Can someone confirm or deny that?

Thanks for any help guys.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Pics would help.

The lever pushes directly on the master cylinder. Remove the nut on the bottom of the pivot bolt, then the bolt. New lever should go right on the same way.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Pics would help.

The lever pushes directly on the master cylinder. Remove the nut on the bottom of the pivot bolt, then the bolt. New lever should go right on the same way.
I can get pictures tomorrow. At the moment I'm not near the lever.

Every time I've changed out levers it was easy, just as you described. Could it be that the lever I'm trying to use is either for a different bike or another clutch lever? It came with the bike in a box of components. It doesn't have anything that gets anywhere near the master cylinder (that's the name I couldn't remember), there should be a part of the lever that just fits right on top of it and pushes it as the lever pivots. I didn't think about that at the time. The holes in the lever are not identical to the holes in the clutch lever, they're much bigger which is what led me to believe that maybe there was something in between the lever and the master cylinder that was missing.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Well the long and short of it is that I think I need a new brake lever. If anyone has a black OEM one that they're not using let me know how much you'd want for it inc. shipping. I'd rather buy from you guys than anywhere else if I can.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9 dollars. shipped. i purchased a set, they fit. they are cheap but they fit. I have a NEW stock brake lever i will part withpm for details, it is FAR better quality. as in, new levers don't rust, in fact my ten year old levers never rusted.. but the ones i listed below have a fastener that will rust in a month or two if it gets wet and others state they will fade. Also the adjuster and spring mechanism is poorly made. In a side by side comparison with a new stock lever, the oem part wins hands down. The spring in the oem lever is about twice as strong, the adjuster operates smoother and has a detent where the black one doesn't. Kind of like the ten dollar head ten dollar helmet saying, Your life is in your hands. Is it worth ten dollars or twenty five relating to the brake lever?

Amazon.com: 2001-2006 Honda CBR 600 F4i Black Brake Clutch Levers: Automotive Amazon.com: 2001-2006 Honda CBR 600 F4i Black Brake Clutch Levers: Automotive

Name:  P9140335_zpsd85172ba.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  136.8 KB

Name:  f4istocklever_zpsf0ee1c9b.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  74.8 KB

Last edited by Bryce Swartzwelder; 10-08-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: confirmation
Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the response Bryce. I hear you, I guess a lot of the aftermarket stuff is not on par with OEM standards unless you're paying significantly more (CRG or Yana Shiki for example).