F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Banana Seat Idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banana Seat Idea

Hi there, I am new to the forum but I have been viewing for many months now. I didn't want to post another seat question thread because people really seem to tear those people apart, instead this thread is about my current seat project. I have a 06 f4i with the banana seat. The seat is decent but lacks at around 10 hrs. My rides take me everywhere and my butt gets acustomed to most of the riding but not all. So instead of buying a Corbin or Sargent, I decided to make my own little invention. I took the vinyl off the orginal seat and then took the foam off the plastic frame. I got a exacto knife and cut a large divit into the orginal foam where my butt and little general ride. The divit was about 1" deep and took up almost the entire flat surface of the drivers seat. I then got about 5 tubes of high quality silicon caulk from the hardware store (stay with meon this and have a very open mind). I thenfilled the divit withsilicon at 1/4" incriments so it all dried. Now I'll stop here and tell youthat I was very questionative when it came to this thought but said to hell with it, I'll buy a Corbin if i mess this up.I restapled the vinyl and tried it out for the first time last week. AllI ahve to say is- holycrap what a difference. I loved it so muchI took the vinyl off and did the same thing to the passenger section.On top of that I put a 1/4" line of silicon in the shape of an iron cross on the passenger section so now whenI put the vinyl back on, it'll raise up the section and show an outlined iron cross. NowI know people are going to boo this and probably make fun of me, but to that I say: what partshave youMADE for your bike? Thanks for reading this looong post but I figured someone might want to try it.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Banana Seat Idea

**** knocker? seriously?

it good to see you being original, I think you could have found some better material than silicone, but if it works and you like it. I say good for you.
update this thread about mid summer and let us know how it worked, maybe you will start a new craze, start making your own seats, and put Danny Gray and Corbin out of business. Or maybe not. but everyone has to start somewhere

Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Ya got to love Jay and Silent Bob, plus I couldn't think of any other name. Thanks for the reply, I have rode maybe 8 hrs on the seat and it feels great. I actually looked everywhere for better materials and had a very hard time finding anything close to what I needed. I landed on silicone because it is water tight, squishy in bulk, and lasts a long time.I actually get compliments on it everywhere I ride, and people ask if I am in the custom seat business; it would break their hearts if they knew it was the original seat hacked up and siliconed. After I put A LOT of riding on it, I'll take it apart and let you know how it holds up.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 PM

Very cool, especially if you like. Try it for 10 and let us know what you think...

Cut my seat and threw a gel pad in, love it and easy to do.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 PM

I had one of my fathers friends do my seat...he put memory foam in it...OMG!!! works amazing... the diff was like night and day... At first you dont feel the diff as much as later on...you def notice it when you first get on...but you REALLY notice it when youve been riding half the day and still feel great...its actually really easy to do by your self just a hassel..plus with me being a full time student and working alot i didnt have the time...but its def not a hard thing to do...

Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Post a picture. This sounds like a great idea and project.