F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bad to run open headder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad to run open headder?

Whats up guys? Me again.

In wake of trying to find the loudest exuast to just be heard, I have turned to a quick fix as of now. No muffler. Just running open headder. Is this going to have any negative mechanical effects on my bike? I can deal with loosign a few HP, The bike is already plenty fast. But it wont hurt anythign else will it? I have seen people run basically "dumps" off their headder... so there cant be much difference between open headders and a dump.

any thoughts? I just want people to hear me so they do not cut me off anymore (happens alot around here)

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 0949er
I have turned to a quick fix as of now. No muffler. Just running open headder. Is this going to have any negative mechanical effects on my bike?
I've HEARD that running open header is detrimental to the bike LONG-TERM (fouls the spark plugs?), I know others on the forum are more knowledgeable than I am and could comment.

I am running a DanMoto Carbon GP exhaust (no baffle) and it's plenty loud. The only pipe I heard that is louder than this is the D&D pipe. If that's not even loud enough, maybe you could cut the pipe a few inches or something, a lot of forum members have done it.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't change people, they're still gonna cut you off. Only now, you're going to add
a new catagory- people you whiz off with obnoxiously loud noise and the police will
"thank" you with a ready excuse to pull you over and fine and/or harrass you.

Since sound propagates from the direction of travel, all of the people in front of you
STILL won't hear you. Developing situational alertness and always having a plan will
give you better odds of survival on the street. Cagers with AC blasting along with the
latest thump pounding out of the stereo wouldn't hear a 747 landing in front of them.

I don't mean these comments to be a 'dis', just a reflection of the real world streets,
as I have determined, from 35 years in the saddle.

Good luck, Ern

Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
You can't change people, they're still gonna cut you off. Only now, you're going to add
a new catagory- people you whiz off with obnoxiously loud noise and the police will
"thank" you with a ready excuse to pull you over and fine and/or harrass you.

Since sound propagates from the direction of travel, all of the people in front of you
STILL won't hear you. Developing situational alertness and always having a plan will
give you better odds of survival on the street. Cagers with AC blasting along with the
latest thump pounding out of the stereo wouldn't hear a 747 landing in front of them.

I don't mean these comments to be a 'dis', just a reflection of the real world streets,
as I have determined, from 35 years in the saddle.

Good luck, Ern

I hear you guys. The long term goal is to find a loud pipe from somewhere. This is just a temporary fix.

And I second that they might not hear me with the AC blasting and radio stuff. My situations come from people beside me not looking over to change lanes to where I am. Belive it or not I am not wizzing by people on the street haha. This is normal, ride like its a harly stuff.

We are all aware of the "loud pipe save lifes" quote. I just want to be louder then the stock muffler right now... which is way quiet for a motorcycle on a street. At least in my area from what I can see.

My original goal was to purchase a yoshemiera (sp) exhaust from ebay, but after talking to multiple people they said it is pretty quite too.... and that is about the only exhaust I really know about.

I am goign to give it a shot.... see what kind of reactions I get. Of course if I start getting harassed by the cops ill have no choice but to put that silencer back on haha

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 PM

From what I've read over the years, running open header causes too little back pressure, and over heats the exhaust valves.

Just get the shortest Delkevic exhaust and dont risk doing serious damage.
This is probably almost the same as running open header, but makes it more clean and directed: 01-07 CBR 600 F4i Moto gp shorty short exhaust pipe | eBay

Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 PM

I get where you're coming from, but Ern has a lot of great input. A lot of people say "ride like you're invisible". Well, you need to ride like you don't make a sound, too. I try to avoid being next to cars, but here are some things I do when it's inevitable:
  • Minimize the amount of time you're next to them (speed up slightly when passing through their blind spot)
  • Try to make sure you can see their face in their side mirror. If you can't see them in their mirror, they can't see you.
  • Watch for head movement. This can help give you an indication of how aware they are or if they're about to make a lane change. If you don't see them glancing around and you don't have an opportunity to get passed them, it may be better to just back off.
As for your original question, I wouldn't bother with taking the headers off. I doubt the cost/benefit isn't good enough.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Loud pipes save lives" is pure and total BS. The only drivers that hear them are the ones beside or behind you. (Don't even get me started on a dumb *** straight pipe V twin No Brand Name Used rider rant...) And the only reaction they produce is aggravation. The drivers that don't look over their shoulder before they change lanes are so flipping dense that they would have no idea what was making the noise, even if you could point your exhaust directly at them. It's really sad and frustrating, and they have no business being on the road, but, like Ern said, it's just a fact that we have to deal with when riding.

And yes, running just open headers will eventually lead to burnt exhaust valves.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 0949er
I hear you guys. The long term goal is to find a loud pipe from somewhere. This is just a temporary fix.

And I second that they might not hear me with the AC blasting and radio stuff. My situations come from people beside me not looking over to change lanes to where I am. Belive it or not I am not wizzing by people on the street haha. This is normal, ride like its a harly stuff.

We are all aware of the "loud pipe save lifes" quote. I just want to be louder then the stock muffler right now... which is way quiet for a motorcycle on a street. At least in my area from what I can see.

My original goal was to purchase a yoshemiera (sp) exhaust from ebay, but after talking to multiple people they said it is pretty quite too.... and that is about the only exhaust I really know about.

I am goign to give it a shot.... see what kind of reactions I get. Of course if I start getting harassed by the cops ill have no choice but to put that silencer back on haha

Thanks for the quick reply guys.
Won't do you any good. My neighbor just got a Harley. You can easily hear him 1 1/2 blocks away. His first complaint after his 1st ride: ppl merging into him.

Don't go with a straight pipe. Dunno where you live but if its any major city, that + sport bike will make you some cops Favorite B****. Two Bros is fairly loud iirc. My F3 had one. Course my preference is to ride at least 2 steps ahead of the other drivers.

With good awareness, you'll begin to see who is thinking about doing something stupid. You should be able to see when putting you bike into a specific space will enable someone to do something stupid. When you get to that level of awareness, then its all about not being there when they do it.

Oh and i hope you live in the backwoods somewhere. Cause your neighbors absolutely loathe a straight pipe.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 AM

Loud pipes do NOT save lives. Practice, advanced learning, situational awareness, and MORE PRACTICE saves lives. When is the last time you practiced threshold braking from 45 mph and scared yourself doing so? These small things you do will have a greater impact on your safety that any loud pipe will. Plus, others, will appreciate you not causing them to go deaf.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biggreys
loud pipes do not save lives. Practice, advanced learning, situational awareness, and more practice saves lives.
+1000000

Quick Reply: bad to run open headder?