F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bad to run open headder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Yup, Everyone is allowed there opinion, Just my LED's aren't hurting my engine and performance.

Whatever exhaust you get, you can chop it down as well to get the deep throaty sound your looking for.
If you are going to go the no exhaust/GP exhaust route I would definitely look into a Power Commander to help fix the leaness and lack of back pressure you would be experiencing.

I can definatly feel a low end loss of performance. The top end seems like it is normal though. How "lean" are we talking here? enough to cause detonation? I have a supercharged mustang and lean spells blown motor for me. However, lean also means a slight HP increase (pending you are not detonating). The leaner you run, the more power you can make if you are not detonating (which would im sure be heard from the exhaust as a knock of some sort)

As far as cracking valves.... how true is that? I mean i do NOT want to damage my bike at the end of the day. But I find it hard to believe the valves will crack from just running an open headder.

I am a lot more familer with a v8 then a 4-cyl bike motor. So any input is greatly appreciated.

And I appreciate the help/advice.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 PM

I don't know how much credence to give to the valve thing, the stock exhaust manifold is still on there and it's pretty damn long. How is cool air gonna make it past all that hot gas being pushed out the headers? Maybe if you pulled the manifold off and tried to run it, but w/ the stock exhaust on there minus the muffler I think it will be ok for the moment.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i doubt there are any negative "long term effects" to the bike. but try not to be too loud and annoying. if you want to be safe on the road, drive a car.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Everyone is telling you it will hurt the bike running header only because people who do that suck. It won't hurt the bike, but it will hurt your feelings when nobody will ride with you. You'll have to go ride with all the dumb as* harley guys who have to ride in giant packs so they can all revel in their retardedly loud motorcycles together.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM

The thing I said about the valves cracking was on a high end race motor. It's happened twice so whether or not you can blame it on cool air is questionable but that's just what I was told by the engineer. Idk how long the headers were or anything else so take that statement with a grain of salt. But I know my bike with open headers the FI light blinks constantly and the throttle response is pretty much non-existent. That was enough reason for me not to run the bike with it on. I still might throw it on and do a quick run down the road just to see what it's like but I would never leave it on permanently. But that's just me, I'm a perfectionist so if something is askew I try to remedy it immediately. Especially when it comes to anything with an engine. Go ahead and run open headers, just be aware that without earplugs you are going to go deaf. I've never heard anything louder with wheels than how my bike sounded.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 PM

The F4 light might of been a seperate issue, I am not having any issues as far as the f4 light blinking or bad throttle response. Just a loss of low end, but the high end feels a bit stronger (which I would thik could be caused by "leaning" out the motor a tad.. in that is in fact happening)

I am not leaving it permenantly. However, as loud as it might be, people are saying it sounds sick.... just really loud haha. And its not that loud on the bike. I wear no ear plugs and it doesnt hurt my ears. I guess I could already be a tad def lol

As soon as I get my hands on a D&D pipe I will be throwing it on. prob gonna be a few weeks though.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
if you want to be safe on the road, drive a car.
I think you mean drive a tank.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 PM

and I just purchased my slip on a few hours ago anyways.... should be here in about 12 days

Old 04-25-2012, 01:46 AM

One of my friends ran his f4i open header, no one wanted to ride with him.
We made him put the muffler on to ride with use, to squidly and attracting
the leos.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by rd91si
One of my friends ran his f4i open header, no one wanted to ride with him.
We made him put the muffler on to ride with use, to squidly and attracting
the leos.
What the heck is a Leo haha. I hate these terms for riders

Quick Reply: bad to run open headder?