F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bad to run open headder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Moto GP stubby that basically just directs the open headers away from anything meltable. It's a 4 inch chrome tip that dumps out the side and it's the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life. It also causes the FI light to blink and when trying to give the bike quick throttle snaps it cuts out and runs like complete crap. The guy that had the bike before was an ex marine and rode with it on 24/7, but he also only rode with the local police and state troopers. How he dealt with the ungodly noise and lack of power I'll never know. But there's another situation I learned about from someone who works on touring cars and high performance engines, with such a short exhaust there's actually a possibility that cool air can sneak back into the system. Said cool air can actually cause the valves to crack or shatter immediately because of the temperature difference and pressures involved. There's no doubt in my mind that anyone behind or next to you would hear this exhaust short of being completely deaf as it sounds like a top fuel dragster or a dirt track stock car. But as everyone else has said loud exhausts don't save lives. I've got a Jardine RT-One and have gotten more compliments on the way my bike sounds than I can count. Bike sounds nice and deep at cruising and idle but screams nicely at the higher rpm range.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
I have a Moto GP stubby that basically just directs the open headers away from anything meltable. It's a 4 inch chrome tip that dumps out the side and it's the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life. It also causes the FI light to blink and when trying to give the bike quick throttle snaps it cuts out and runs like complete crap. The guy that had the bike before was an ex marine and rode with it on 24/7, but he also only rode with the local police and state troopers. How he dealt with the ungodly noise and lack of power I'll never know. But there's another situation I learned about from someone who works on touring cars and high performance engines, with such a short exhaust there's actually a possibility that cool air can sneak back into the system. Said cool air can actually cause the valves to crack or shatter immediately because of the temperature difference and pressures involved. There's no doubt in my mind that anyone behind or next to you would hear this exhaust short of being completely deaf as it sounds like a top fuel dragster or a dirt track stock car. But as everyone else has said loud exhausts don't save lives. I've got a Jardine RT-One and have gotten more compliments on the way my bike sounds than I can count. Bike sounds nice and deep at cruising and idle but screams nicely at the higher rpm range.
nothign wrong with it sounding like a top fuel dragster

Ok. I will agree somewhat with you guys. But saying that loud pipes flat out do NOT save lifes is pretty out there. If you are heard, that is just one more factor adding to your visibility.... weather its a loud bike, those pulsing headlights, or really anythign that draws attention for that matter.

I agree that situation awareness is key. That is something I already deal with every day. Just want some extra help until I can find something to slip on the headder.

Thanks for the help guys. I am goign to check out that D&D pipe. see if it can muffle the sound a TAD

Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by 0949er
Ok. I will agree somewhat with you guys. But saying that loud pipes flat out do NOT save lifes is pretty out there
Just yesterday, I was riding in the middle lane of a street with no traffic around me. I saw an SUV about to make a right-hand turn onto the street out of a parking lot, and could have sworn we were looking each other in the eyes. But what does he do? He pulls out into the middle lane right in front of me! I pulled up next to him, looked over, and threw my hand up like "WTF was that?" He waves his hand and nods as if to say "what's up". Did he see me? Did he realize he pulled out in front of me? Did he care?

Point is, never think that visibility, sound, or anything else is going to save you from other people's stupidity and carelessness. If you want louder exhaust because it's something you like, that's one thing, but don't do it thinking it's going to make riding a motorcycle any safer. The only variable that you can rely on is your own ability as a rider.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

A yoshimura pipe is plenty loud.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open headers are so obnoxiously loud, people will be more willing to run you over just to make it stop.
It's a TERRIBLE sound, especially on a revvy 600. Other riders will curse your existance.

Cut down your stock pipe, or buy a used pipe on ebay. There is no excuse to ever run without a pipe. It's also bad for the bike to answer your question (runs lean).

Squids run open headers. Dont be a squid!

Last edited by Sick97SS; 04-23-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Open headers are so obnoxiously loud, people will be more willing to run you over just to make it stop.
It's a TERRIBLE sound, especially on a revvy 600. Other riders will curse your existance.

Cut down your stock pipe, or buy a used pipe on ebay. There is no excuse to ever run without a pipe. It's also bad for the bike to answer your question (runs lean).

Squids run open headers. Dont be a squid!

haha runin open headders has been around for longer then either of us have been alive (proally combined). Yes it is obnoxiously loud.... but it does not sound bad... it actually sounds pretty sweet. Real throaty actually. Just.... loud.

I am gonna try out a few things to see if cutting a pipe will wokr for me or not. I am also gonna look into that D&D pipe mentioned above. Like I said time and time again, this is just until I get something I like.

You dont know me though, dont call me a squit just because I like a loud exhaust Call me a squid if you see me out in gym shorts and a t-shirt (instead of my full gear I wear everywhere I go)

Again, thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by 0949er; 04-23-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM

speaking of which, does anybody know where to find a good deal on a D&D pipe? I have been searching online and cant really find anythign that looks like a deal. there is one of ebay for $320 and some random website has one for right about $300 but it looks kinda shady.

Anybody know where a good spot is to purchase one?

*edit*

I am seeing multiple website all offer for $320.... is that the best Im gonna do?

Last edited by 0949er; 04-23-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont know me though, dont call me a squit just because I like a loud exhaust Call me a squid if you see me out in gym shorts and a t-shirt (instead of my full gear I wear everywhere I go)

Again, thanks for the input guys.
Its not that he is calling you a squid, No rider that loves there bike would put it through the punishment of running no exhaust, it is something a squid would do as he knows he will dump the bike or get rid of it before any damage is down.

Running no exhaust is like wearing aviators at a bar, You will be the only one that thinks its cool.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Its not that he is calling you a squid, No rider that loves there bike would put it through the punishment of running no exhaust, it is something a squid would do as he knows he will dump the bike or get rid of it before any damage is down.

Running no exhaust is like wearing aviators at a bar, You will be the only one that thinks its cool.
Can I say the same thing about LED's all over the bike?

But really, got it. Im a squid.

Anybody know where I can find a good deal on a D&D pipe?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I say the same thing about LED's all over the bike?
Yup, Everyone is allowed there opinion, Just my LED's aren't hurting my engine and performance.

Whatever exhaust you get, you can chop it down as well to get the deep throaty sound your looking for.
If you are going to go the no exhaust/GP exhaust route I would definitely look into a Power Commander to help fix the leaness and lack of back pressure you would be experiencing.

Quick Reply: bad to run open headder?