F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bad gas or Fouled plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad gas or Fouled plugs?

Bike is a 01 F4i, I pulled it out of storage last weekend (Was put away with a full tank and fairly old stabilizer), Battery wasn't fully charged but it bump started and fired right up. Drove about an hour, Got home, turned it off.
Pulled it out today with a fresh off the charger battery and it would just turn but no catch, did that a bunch of times until the battery was dead.
Tried bumpstarting it on a hill and it would turn but just not catch.

I am assuming the 2 most obvious things are bad gas or bad plugs....

The plugs seem difficult to get at to just check and not sure how to empty the tank other than syphoning which I would assume the bad gas would be in the lines still...

What would seem the best course of action?
Is there anything else I should look at?

PS. Yes the killswitch is turn to on

Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

If it ran for an hour with no problems then I wouldn't guess either the plugs or gas is bad. Smell the gas, does it smell bad? Gas smells very distinctive when it goes.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does sound like fouled spark plugs from what I've been reading online I have had the same problem. It ran fine than it just wouldn't crank anymore no spark. I've put new spark plugs in mine but waiting on my new battery to get here to see if it's all fixed. My old spark plugs looked really nasty. Looked fouled for sure.

First thing i've ever done to a sports bike I only have worked on cars, Just take off the seat, Set back the gas tank, You don't have to completely remove the gas tank just unbolt it and pull it back and tie it to something to sit out the way, remove the upper air box, remove velocity stacks, remove filter, remove lower air box, Might have to remove side fairing but not sure on that, I ended up removing the side fairing to get to the lower air box easier. Took me about 2 hours to take it apart, 10 mins to swap the plugs (It's a tight fit), 1 hour to put it all back together. I followed this guide https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...emoval-106715/ Only a few things different like turning the fuel petcock off and stuff because we're fuel injected

Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Well I got it started,
It took alot of cranking at WOT but it finally caught and fired up.

Took it around the block a couple times and it turns off and on fine now.......

Either way I am still replacing the plugs when it goes in for the valve adjustment.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Either way I am still replacing the plugs when it goes in for the valve adjustment.
How many miles on current plugs? I notice a difference in the engine when mine approach 14,000 miles.
Originally Posted by OneFastGSR
Took me about 2 hours to take it apart, 10 mins to swap the plugs (It's a tight fit), 1 hour to put it all back together. I followed this guide https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...emoval-106715/ Only a few things different like turning the fuel petcock off and stuff because we're fuel injected
Its quite a bit easier and quicker to just unbolt the radiator and swing it out of the way [still connected to the hoses]. Takes me about 45min to an hour to do everything and have the bike ready to go again.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
How many miles on current plugs? I notice a difference in the engine when mine approach 14,000 miles.

Its quite a bit easier and quicker to just unbolt the radiator and swing it out of the way [still connected to the hoses]. Takes me about 45min to an hour to do everything and have the bike ready to go again.
Got them done mid last year so I would guess about 15,000-20,000kms.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked

I'll have to look at doing that next time I have to change them. I was looking through my cbr book and it was saying drain all the fluids remove the radiator completely etc and I thought that was alot more work than the way through the gas tank

Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by OneFastGSR
I'll have to look at doing that next time I have to change them. I was looking through my cbr book and it was saying drain all the fluids remove the radiator completely etc and I thought that was alot more work than the way through the gas tank
Yeah that would be a ton of work. My owners manual even tells me to unbolt and swing the rad away. I figured honda knew what it was talking about and tried it that way first. Worked quick so I've always stuck with it.