General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP!! Fouled Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!! Fouled Plugs

I have an '05 CBR600RR with less than 5000kms and already my spark plugs are fouled and I have to replace them. Anyone have any ideas why this would happen already? The bike was running fine up until Friday night. I haven't done anything to it, don't ride it too hard, use the same type of gasoline for the past 3 months I've had it, never dropped or anything of the sort. I've been babying it and yet somehow something's messed up. I appreciate any help I can get.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Default RE: NEED HELP!! Fouled Plugs

What kind of fouling....whats wrong with the plugs?

I'm not really sure b/c i haven't been riding too long and it's my first bike but maybe its b/c you aren't riding it to hard and babying it. I don't mean try to kill yourself but get on it every now and then to clean out the carbon and stuff. I would think its some what like a car. Maybe put higher octane gas in it once a month if you don't do that already. This is probably common knowledge but just my 2 cents.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 PM

I use 91 octane like the manual says, and every 4 or 5 fill-ups I put in 94. I've recently been riding it a little harder, revving higher and shifting gears at a higher rpm. The thing that kills me is that it's only a year old with less than 5000kms with no problems before whatsoever.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:00 PM

THE GAS ISSUE IS YOUR PROBLEM IF NOT TWIST THA STICK AND QUIT LUGGING THA BEAST LET IT RIP PLAYA! {CASEY JONES IS A SON OF A BITCH]

Old 07-12-2006, 09:37 PM

Do you let it warm up for a long time? That will foul the plugs.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:36 AM

I've just started getting comfortable riding it, as I've had it less than 3 months, that's why I'm revving higher and riding a little harder now.

As for warming up, I let it idle until the temp indicator turns on them I'm off so it's never just sitting there for a long time.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:18 PM

Very rare for a 4 stroke to foul out plugs. That happens on a 2 stroke with a poor oil/gas mixture. Get a friend who knows how to ride to take it for a rip and beat on it a bit to try and clean out all the carbon etc... If that doesn't solve the problem check your air filter, oil, etc... If you've been riding in a very dusty area you could have a clogged air filter.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:32 AM

Got a buddy to already take it for a ride. He's helping me clean the carbon off the plugs and gonna do some other tests on it. I'm hoping it was just a freak thing and I got a bad batch of gas or something.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:03 AM

sounds like u really have been taking care of ur bike .. u shouldnt have a fouled plugs already with that lil of miles .. but i will take ur word for it that u got fouled plug ..
my question is .. when u inspected a plug .. was it CARBON BUILD UP ? or OIL BUILD UP ? it will be nice if u can take a picture n post it up here .. it will be so much easier
if u have carbon fouled plug .. could be a Leaky Injectors .. Faulty Canister Purge system .. bad wiring at ECM can reduce voltage and casue missfiring .. Excessive Idling Slow Speed under light load also can keep spark plug temperatures so low that normal combustion deposits are not burned off

Old 07-15-2006, 06:33 AM

They were just carbon build up so I'm just gonna have them cleaned up and put back in. It's sittin' in my friend's garage right now, but if I get a chance I'll post some pics.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!! Fouled Plugs