F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

AZ ripoffs??

Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Default AZ ripoffs??

So this weekend i wanted a quote on my CCT(Cam Chain Tensioner) and Western honda said $76 and $50 installation fee.
i called Ridenow in Mesa they said $76 and with installation fees it will come to $355. Why such the steep price? Its a Honda.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Labor is pricey, and they can charge what they want.

Why not......get a manual CCTL on ebay for $40 and you instal yourself for FREE?
It's not hard and they're plenty of writeups that hold your hand through the entire process, (like mine in the sticky).

Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM

$50 labor to install the factory CCT is reasonable. Most shops won't touch the CCT install for less than 1 - 1.5 labor hr...which is generally $85+/hr.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

thats actually a good price. But get yourself a manual CCT and put it in yourself. you'll be happy and its a fun thing to do for an afternoon.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM

WTF does it being a honda have to do with install prices? Ridenow is exspensive, western is resonable it seems. Or you could get a non-shop to do it like sensible people but it will still cost as much as western is asking to do it so in this case theres no point.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM

I need to do this to my bike also. I was going to do it myself (I have a fair amount of mechanical experience) if you wanted to swing by and watch.

I'm down in Tucson so it's not exactly a short ride though

I'm also planning on using the OEM part. My stock one lasted 12k miles and Honda must have a sound engineering reason to use a self-adjusting part. I'm guessing it has to do with different amounts of slack in the chain under dynamic loading.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM

I was planning on getting a manual one to put in. i dont have alot of mechanical skills. But if you put a computer in fromt of me thats a different story Lol

_BoredandStroked_--What i mean about it being a 'Honda' is its not a ducati or a bmw or mercedes or porsche. Higher the class the more expensive the part. and yes now i know that each company can set their own labor prices.

Appreciate the comments....would the 'APE' tensioner be the one to go with?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Just did CCT on my bike. I have ZERO mechanical skills and it was not a problem. Just get the tools mentioned in the sticky. All that is involved is removing a couple of screws and replacing the part. The tricky part is accessing the screws but with the right tool,
it unfolds just like the write up says. Take it from me, if I can do it, a chimp can.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM

APE is the most popular maker but there are others just as good.

It's fine to put a NEW stock cctl in to replace your current buzzing one, just be prepared to have it buzz again in a thousand miles which defeats the purpose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.