CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   AZ ripoffs?? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/az-ripoffs-132606/)

An01InAZ 11-28-2011 03:28 PM

AZ ripoffs??

So this weekend i wanted a quote on my CCT(Cam Chain Tensioner) and Western honda said $76 and $50 installation fee.
i called Ridenow in Mesa they said $76 and with installation fees it will come to $355.:icon_gunhead: Why such the steep price? Its a Honda.

Sick97SS 11-28-2011 03:46 PM

Labor is pricey, and they can charge what they want.

Why not......get a manual CCTL on ebay for $40 and you instal yourself for FREE?
It's not hard and they're plenty of writeups that hold your hand through the entire process, (like mine in the sticky).

gotcbr 11-28-2011 04:57 PM

$50 labor to install the factory CCT is reasonable. Most shops won't touch the CCT install for less than 1 - 1.5 labor hr...which is generally $85+/hr.

CJardine 11-28-2011 08:53 PM

thats actually a good price. But get yourself a manual CCT and put it in yourself. you'll be happy and its a fun thing to do for an afternoon.

boredandstroked 11-29-2011 09:19 AM

WTF does it being a honda have to do with install prices? Ridenow is exspensive, western is resonable it seems. Or you could get a non-shop to do it like sensible people but it will still cost as much as western is asking to do it so in this case theres no point.

gtmotor 11-29-2011 02:17 PM

I need to do this to my bike also. I was going to do it myself (I have a fair amount of mechanical experience) if you wanted to swing by and watch.

I'm down in Tucson so it's not exactly a short ride though :icon_playingball:

I'm also planning on using the OEM part. My stock one lasted 12k miles and Honda must have a sound engineering reason to use a self-adjusting part. I'm guessing it has to do with different amounts of slack in the chain under dynamic loading.

An01InAZ 11-29-2011 03:07 PM

I was planning on getting a manual one to put in. i dont have alot of mechanical skills. But if you put a computer in fromt of me thats a different story Lol

_BoredandStroked_--What i mean about it being a 'Honda' is its not a ducati or a bmw or mercedes or porsche. Higher the class the more expensive the part. and yes now i know that each company can set their own labor prices.

Appreciate the comments....would the 'APE' tensioner be the one to go with?

rlew 11-29-2011 03:52 PM

Just did CCT on my bike. I have ZERO mechanical skills and it was not a problem. Just get the tools mentioned in the sticky. All that is involved is removing a couple of screws and replacing the part. The tricky part is accessing the screws but with the right tool,
it unfolds just like the write up says. Take it from me, if I can do it, a chimp can.

Sick97SS 11-30-2011 02:30 PM

APE is the most popular maker but there are others just as good.

It's fine to put a NEW stock cctl in to replace your current buzzing one, just be prepared to have it buzz again in a thousand miles which defeats the purpose. :icon_nut: