F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

The April Project!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The April Project!

Okay, so I know it isn't actually April yet, but that doesn't stop me from starting The April Project!

With a new job at the start of 2008, I've got the opportunity to pour some money into my bike, and thus make it what I've always wanted it to be. Today marked the major start of this endeavor, which I have named The April Project due to my goal to have the bike done and ready for the season by my birthday in the beginning of May. Naturally, that gives me the month of April to do it.

Anywho, a few friends came over to help me do the initial tear down, since I'm not super mechanically inclined, and I like to have company.

The start of the day, bike fully assembled.

This is how she looked for most of the 07 season. I crashed in May 2007 and had to replace the side fairings in the process. I found used black/silver ones, and removed the silver graphics in order to make it at least somewhat matching still. Those with a keen eye probably spotted the missing mirror - that was a small incident regarding a friend pulling in front of me in a parking lot and me washing out the front wheel. Luckily, the mirror was the only damage.

My three kickass friends - Pete, Keren, and Shawn

Never seen my bike this torn down. I'm glad I had help.

And here's how she sits now, less a few more parts.

And one of the modifications sneaking it's way onto the wheel

I'm not going to write out a whole list for all of my plans, because even I would probably forget something. So instead, I'll continue updating as things progress. Hope everyone can get a little entertainment or knowledge out of it or something. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

All photos can be found in biggAr version on Flickr.
/

Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: The April Project!

nice galfer wave rotors...

where'd you get 'em...how much you drop on em if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Ebay, $140.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM

for the backlight on your gauges, did you have it done somewhere (ex. bluegauges) or did you do the SMT soldering yourself?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:07 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Haha random question seeing as how there are no pics of my lit-up gauges in this thread.

I had them done by Scott @ BlueGauges. He did a great job, and even went a step beyond by attempting to repair part of my LCD for me.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Aken
Haha random question seeing as how there are no pics of my lit-up gauges in this thread.

I had them done by Scott @ BlueGauges. He did a great job, and even went a step beyond by attempting to repair part of my LCD for me.
Haha, don't worry, I'm not stalking you. I saw the pic on the link to your flickr page lol. I'm still torn between doing it myself because I've done some SMT soldering before, but it looks like a huge project from this thread (https://cbrforum.com/fb.asp?m=166949) so I'd definitely be getting my money's worth at BlueGauges, plus they have the LCDs already, plus it says its insured up to $200. I guess I'm still just wrestling with it.

Btw, how long do you plan on having your bike torn down? Just the month of April? I'd be upset if I couldn't ride for a week when there's nice weather, much less a month!

Old 04-01-2008, 01:34 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I figured you just saw it in the gallery. The LED soldering itself probably isn't very difficult, the problem is the gauges have many many pins soldered to the electrical board, and the LEDs are UNDER them. so you can't just pop stuff off and get to the LEDs. It's almost best if you have some sort of desoldering machine designed for removing components attached to a board. When I saw that myself, I knew I wasn't going to mess with it, even with decent soldering experience.

I plan on having the bike down as long as it takes to get everything done. It could be two weeks, it could be a month. Like I said, my goal is to have it done by the month of May, but realistically will probably be 2-3 weeks. Just gotta take the time to get **** done and not be lazy

Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM

so im not a kick *** friend aken????? lol

Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM

what color are you painting it??? going with the white theme?

Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM
July 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: F4i_brandon

so im not a kick *** friend aken????? lol
Sure you are, you just weren't there to help me And yeah, gonna be a pearlish white with some misc vinyl here and there.

Quick Reply: The April Project!