F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Another CCTL Thread (just double checking before i try it)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another CCTL Thread (just double checking before i try it)

Yeh yeh i know im posting another CCTL thread but im going to order parts soon and i want to make sure the parts i order are going to fix the problem. and im pretty sure the problems im having are just like the other ones.

My Problem:
When ever im riding my F4i, after is warmed up and at around 4k-6k RPM i get a grinding/rattling noise from my engine.
its very loud and once it starts it seems to stay rattling when im at idle at stoplight too.
it seems to only happen in first and second gear, then goes away at higher gears/rpms

I was going to follow this guide:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...l-pics-116975/

I also asked the guy whos been posting other F4i CCT videos and he says it could also be a problem with the clutch
on my f4i i think i have clutch rattle, when its idling in neutral it makes a rattle but when i pull the clutch in it stops, also in 1st & somtimes 2nd gear it makes a rattle noice around 5-6k rpm. is this the same problem here that can be fixed with your method?
SgtDamien in reply to briansmobile1 (Show the comment) 1 month ago

That's a different noise/problem/solution. That's often the rod through the center of the clutch. It get's worn down in diameter and then can rattle.
briansmobile1 in reply to SgtDamien 1 month ago
Again sorry for the annoying CCT repost but im just not too sure about if im getting the typical problem or not. thank you for your help =)

Old 05-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Default Replacement CCT. OEM or Aftermarket? Automatic or Manual?

im pretty sure im having the usual CCT problem on my F4i (as it fits everyone elses description) and i was wondering whether i should get an OEM or Aftermarket replacement.

some sites say to get an aftermarket since the OEM will just have the same problem again down the road and you should get the manual one to save time and money.

another rumor i heard was that Honda made an updated CCT that has a different parts number, if anyone happens to know the number that would be great!

im not too sure one which one to pick and was looking for your guys' opinions on the subject, ALSO it would be great if you could link me some as im having trouble finding them on the internet. Thanks for the help! =)

Last edited by Sprock; 05-13-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: merged - same topic
Old 05-13-2012, 06:30 PM

The oem cctl has been revised a few times, I'm not sure if it is 100% fixed though. The oem one crapped out on my 01 at about 17.5k miles, I replaced it w/ the newest oem one which I bought from honda4u.com. You can actually make the oem one into a manual one, someone on here did it and explained it. Otherwise google ape cct and you will find what you need. The part number for the newest one is 14520-MBW-J24, original I think ended in J20 so it seems they have revised it a few times.

Last edited by chambers; 05-13-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:42 PM

do you have to readjust the manual one periodically?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by svek
do you have to readjust the manual one periodically?
Yes.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 PM

You need to read the stickied cctl threads all the way through. All your questions will be answered

Old 05-15-2012, 03:14 PM

I'm slightly skeptical that it's the CCT because yours still makes noise at idle. I need to replace mine (after only 6400 miles), but it almost exclusively makes the noise around 4-5k RPMs.

However, because the CCT problem is essentially guaranteed on F4i's, I'd replace it to be sure. $50 is worth the peace of mind. Personally, I'm going to replace mine with an OEM newer-model and see how long it lasts.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by DarkNinja75
I'm slightly skeptical that it's the CCT because yours still makes noise at idle. I need to replace mine (after only 6400 miles), but it almost exclusively makes the noise around 4-5k RPMs.

However, because the CCT problem is essentially guaranteed on F4i's, I'd replace it to be sure. $50 is worth the peace of mind. Personally, I'm going to replace mine with an OEM newer-model and see how long it lasts.
my bike has over 40k miles on it from the last owners(hell i think i still have the factory battery from 2001) , im going to start with a APE CCT becuase it should at least fix one problem. yeh when the bike gets heated up it rattles at idle and in neutral. and when i was riding around today it specifically grinded/rattled at 5k-6k rpm.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Mine is doing the exact same thing, it's driving me nuts. It is pretty much at it's worst sounding around the 5500 rpm mark. I'm replacing it though with an APE as soon as I can get it to a shop to be done with this issue.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Matt5606
Mine is doing the exact same thing, it's driving me nuts. It is pretty much at it's worst sounding around the 5500 rpm mark. I'm replacing it though with an APE as soon as I can get it to a shop to be done with this issue.
i just ordered my APE so ill be installing it most likely by next week, ima just do it myself. ill keep you posted i guess

Quick Reply: Another CCTL Thread (just double checking before i try it)