F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Another bike not starting thread(google & forum search didn't help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another bike not starting thread(google & forum search didn't help)

Hi Guys,

Long time(not so active) member here. Having issues with my 06 F4i & hoping somebody on here will be able to help. Bike was sitting for about 5 months in the garage so last weekend bought a new battery, turned on & bike won't start. Here are the symptoms.
  • Turn the key to on position & the fuel pump primes
  • The odometer(speed gauge) lights up, displays nothing but the clock
  • Odo doesn't coundtdown the mph
  • Tach doesn't do it's startup cycle to the max & back
  • Headlights turn on
  • Crank up & nothing

What have I tried so far
  • Checked fuses in the fuse box, all is good(Don't know where other fuses are located). Saw wiring diagram from another post here, but don't know where on bike the fuses are, if anybody can point out.
  • Removed fairings to check any obvious electrical issues, didn't see any fried wires or connectors. Didn't check very deeply, about to go out & do that shortly
  • Interestingly, with the headlights disconnected, the odo & tach do their startup routine, obviously the bike doesn't crank. Hoping this might point to something obvious.

I might need some handholding cause I have never worked with electrical systems, but I really want to try to fix this myself & learn something new. Will greatly appreciate your help.