F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004

guys here is the problem.the speedometer on my 01' f4i is not working.all the other indicators are working.dont really see any error code indication from the FI light.the guy whom i bought it from said that it worked when the temp got above 190 F but i havent seen it happen.what could be the problem.i dont think the speedos functioning really depends on the temp.
also i have the same starting problems that many f4i owners seem to have(i c quiet a few # of posts on starting trouble).when the bike gets really cold it does not start.it chokes as if not enough charge is flowing to provide the reqd amt of cranking.so i remove the battery and trickle it and wait for the battery to reach room temperature and then it fires up beautifully.its hard to understand the solution than the problem itself.i see a lot of different suggestions to the previous starting trouble posts.what i would like to know is does the battery getting really cold affect the starting of the bike.y i am asking this is coz the bike fires perfectly under warm conditions.one final question.does the roll on starting from an incline cause any damage to the engine when done often.
sorry guys for so many questions.just love my baby and want to make sure shes alrit.
kindly help me.thanking all of u in anticipation.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:35 AM
Default RE: 2004

You could possibly have a bad speed sensor or a bad connection somewhere in the wiring...possibly even a short or an open in the circuit. There are tests that you can perform to diagnose these things but you'll need a Volt/Ohm meter and a service manual is very helpful. 11 blinks of the FI light indicates a bad speed sensor, but since you don't have any trouble codes thats kind of wierd. As far as trying to start it when it gets cold, the battery could be old and it just can't provide enough cold cranking amps needed to start the bike while it's cold. Depending on how cold it is, the battery might not be the problem, it could just be the cold weather that's causing the bike to be hard to start. I know I started my bike a couple times during the winter when it was really cold here and it cranked and started but it wasn't anything like how it cranks when it's above 40-50 degrees. Push starting the bike shouldn't hurt anything but are you just push starting it because of the problems with the battery?

Old 03-09-2006, 02:23 PM

fox i actually have tried push starting only once and dint manage to start it.that probably was coz i dint get enough speed by pushing it on level ground.everytime the bike dint start i removed the battery trickled it and let it to reach room temp.i am not sure if the battery is stock.if its stock it might be time to change it coz its 01.how do i find out if its stock?coming to the speedo i too thought that somthin was wrong with the sensor.the dealer out here charges 70$ to diagonise it.outrageous....can i check the speed sensor myself?wht should i do if i can.i read a post somewhere else where the person was sayin that the first blink lasted 1.3 seconds and it was equal to 10 blinks and that the subsequent blinks would last .5 seconds and the blink count would be 10 + the # of .5 sec blinks.is that the way the count works.anyways i dont see any such indications.if i am right the fi light shud come up once when u switch it on(thats wht the manual sayz) ...right.it does come up and lasts for abt 1 second.so could that be a trouble indication(the 1.3sec=10 blinks kind) rather than the normal indication?i am confused.helppppppp....

Old 03-09-2006, 10:18 PM

I can't copy/paste the directions on how to test it because my Adobe version sucks. What kind of manual do you have? You can get the Honda manual here http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/i...op-manual.html Just click on play video and then save it, it's a zipped file. Anyways, they have the instructions on how to test the speed sensor on page 19-11. When the FI light flashes out a trouble code it should just flash it out without any delays in the blinks. When the FI light comes on when you turn the ignition on, it's normal. Hope that helps...

Old 03-10-2006, 02:44 AM

thanks fox....lets c what happens