F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 Honda CBR starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The charger that I have for the battery has a jump feature too. I tried to start it with that charger attached and on the jump feature but got the same problem.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Do you have a manual? If not download it here. Have you checked the starter relay under the seat?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM

I have looked looked at the relay itself and made sure it was clicking when trying to start the bike. Is there something in particular that I should be looking at on it?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Well if you hear it clicking then that means that the relay is moving as it should. Now, the only thing you have to check is if there is voltage making it to the starter once the starter switch is pressed. If there is, then you know that the starter is pooched.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:05 AM

I am taking it to a shop early next week to have it looked at. They said they will charge like $75 to diagnose it... Hopefully it will be worth the money. I will keep you guys updated on it when I get it figured out.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Here is an update for everyone.

I took my bike to a local shop near Madison WI called Vetesnik's Mad City Power Sports.

They did some diagnosing and told me it was the starter that had gone bad on the bike and gave me an estimate for the repair through them. I refused that because I just wanted it diagnosed and I can do the repair with an uncle of mine. After I left Vetesnik's with my motorcycle I noticed the speedometer was no longer working and now they refuse to fix it for me without charging me more money because they say that they did not break anything on my motorcycle.

I highly suggest for anyone in the Madison area to stay away from Vetesnik's Mad City Power Sports.

On another note, my uncle and I will be working on the bike over the weekend or early next week to replace the starter and I will let everyone know if that fixes the starting problem.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:59 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by IrishboyWRX
Here is an update for everyone.

I took my bike to a local shop near Madison WI called Vetesnik's Mad City Power Sports.

They did some diagnosing and told me it was the starter that had gone bad on the bike and gave me an estimate for the repair through them. I refused that because I just wanted it diagnosed and I can do the repair with an uncle of mine. After I left Vetesnik's with my motorcycle I noticed the speedometer was no longer working and now they refuse to fix it for me without charging me more money because they say that they did not break anything on my motorcycle.

I highly suggest for anyone in the Madison area to stay away from Vetesnik's Mad City Power Sports.

On another note, my uncle and I will be working on the bike over the weekend or early next week to replace the starter and I will let everyone know if that fixes the starting problem.
Its good they diagnosed the problem. I refuse to take my vehicles into a dealer for anything because half the mechanics are morons that don't know what they are doing. As for the speedo check the Vehicle speed sensor to see if they unplugged it.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Yeah I am the same way, I hate taking them in to shops but I really didn't have any idea where to start or what to check (new to any bike repairs really). As for the speedo I will check that clip to see if it is unplugged, do you know where the clip is?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:00 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Page 19-12 of the manual kinda explains it but I think this explains it better

Old 05-06-2011, 02:00 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Page 19-12 of the manual kinda explains it but I think this explains it better

Quick Reply: 2001 Honda CBR starting issue