F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 Honda CBR starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Honda CBR starting issue

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum here but I have had my 2001 CBR F4i since last year. I stored it in a garage all winter.

After storage last winter the bike will not start with the push button. It will start up fine when I pop start it.

Symptoms:
When I turn the key to on I do hear the fuel pump priming. Also all the lights turn on like normal for the gauges and headlight. However as soon as I push the start button all power is lost to the gauges and headlights. Then when I release the start button the gauges light up like when I just turn the key to on (this includes the fuel pump priming again). There are/were times when I push the button that it will try to turn over for a second then it just kills the power again. It did start a few times from the button during the first day I rode it but now it will not start at all with the button. I have also tried to jump start it with a battery charger/ jumper with it doing the same thing.

Things I have checked/ replaced:
Fuel has been replaced
Battery has been tested at shop
Also tested brand new battery while at the shop
Fuses have been checked
Kill switch is turned to on
Bike is in neutral
Kickstand is up
Clutch is pulled in when I push the start button
Bike will run fine after pop starting

Any suggestions on what could be the problem and/ or what to check?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 PM

SOunds like poor electrical contact in the start button or a bad starter relay. First and simple is to check the starter relay.

David

Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 AM

The starter relay will click when I press the start button. But after the initial click that is when the power cuts off to gauges/ etc.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Maybe a short within the starter itself? If the gauges go blank from holding the starter button, something is using a lot of current.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 AM

I agree with Matt here, it would take a VERY serious draw to deaden gauges from a brand new battery! Also, I would suggest you stop trying to start the bike, this short could be putting stress on the entire electrical system of the bike and that is never a good thing!

Have you considered there may just be some moisture in the starter from being in storage that is causing a short? Maybe park it out in the open air with the sun on it for a day and see if that helps. I have seen bikes do strange things after a winter in the back of the garage! Especially if you live in an area where it is often well below zero during the winter.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Another thing I did notice last time I was working on the bike is that when the gauges go out with the button down it also resets the time like it would when I unplug the battery.

And yeah, I was thinking the same thing about a short and have not started my bike more than 2 or 3 times by popping it. I will try putting it in direct sunlight on the next warm day and see if maybe it is moisture that can be dried up. I live in Wisconsin so you are right that it gets to 0 degrees quite often in the winter.

I was also reading some other electrical problems and thinking of maybe getting a voltage meter to test some. Anyone have any idea on where start the testing though?

Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM
October 2011 ROTM

It sounds like a dead battery. How old is it? I know you said you got it tested but there are 2 test that need to be done. One is if the battery will take a charge and the other is if it will hold a charge. The dealer will need to keep the battery over night in order to see if it will hold a charge.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 PM

Battery looks like a stock honda one. Not sure if it was replaced before I bought the bike at a honda dealer or if it is the stock one from 2001.

However I am pretty sure it will hold a charge because I charged it once earlier when i got the bike out and it still lights up the lights and primes the fuel injectors fine. Before when the battery was dead it was really slow to prime the fuel injectors.

Also to note when I took it to the shop to have the battery tested i did install a brand new battery they had but it did the same thing. And they told me the battery tested out 85% good so i decided not to waste the money on a new battery yet.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 PM

i had similar problem on my ZX10R and it was corosion in the starter relay.. track the problem each connector at a time.. long process .. sand the pin .. clean and then put some electrical lubrificant...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
October 2011 ROTM

These bikes need a good charge in the battery for them to start. It might have enough juice to run all the light and even crank the bike but not fire. I was dumbfounded one day when my F4i would not start but was cranking good. I couldn't figure out why so I put a battery charger on it and vroom it fired right up. I am not saying it is your battery but don't rule it out. If it will start and run perfectly fine when you push start it then that narrows it down to the starting system. It could be a relay but I doubt it. Relays on these bike are not known for going out. Could be your starter motor. It sounds like your starter switch is functioning properly. Do you have a jump box? If so put that on the bike to see if it will crank and start. If it does then it is your battery. If not could be your starter or maybe something else. Don't try to jump start it with a running car. I hear bad things can happen. Start with the easiest thing and narrow it down from there.

Quick Reply: 2001 Honda CBR starting issue