F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 F4i with several ssilly problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Luck,

I really appreciate you following along with me on this. In regards to the testing, I'll look around and just see if I can get lucky on a test harness. I of course, will use the FSM as the primary and will go with that if there are any contradictions.

Thanks for another explanation of the MAP and MAF systems. It made it much easier to understand to see it all together. Thanks so much Luck.

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM

I had a suzuki bandit that did this same kind of thing. The bike would run horrible and it just wanted to die and if I let off the throttle it would, also got horrible mileage. Turned out only one cylinder was fireing and when i went rode it to work, it started raining while my bike was in the parking lot. Water had gotten in the electrical system and the mechanic said you could light a bulb off the frame (probably just a joke). So maybe your running off only one cylinder and water could have gotten in the wires. Anyways....... the problems your having sound very similar to mine and the mechanic was able to fix it for about 250 bucks. I think the majority of the money went to a new battery. So it might be worth it to take it to a mechanic. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Hey Luck,

I am just getting home tonight. I am going to check the sensors in the morning and I will let you know what I get from there. I've got a bunch of ideas to try as well, but will wait to see what you got in mind after I get back to ya again.

Thanks for the info STI, I am thinking about taking it to the mechanic, but I'd rather not bend over for anyone. I guess this might not be the case, but I am scared, but also really anxious to start riding!

Thanks to all.

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-10-2009, 04:56 AM

Had this problem with my f4i, bike ran like complete $*!& and would not idle, i also had the FI code for the MAP sensor, replaced the MAP sensor, bike has ran great ever since. good luck hope you get it sorted soon.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Hey Luck,

Just tested the MAP sensor with the multimeter. 2.926 in the "on" position. And it is about 2.69 when the bike is struggling to run. What do I do next? I am not sure what this means. I grabbed a new battery today because mine was a pile of junk. Let me know what you think and thanks so much for stickin' around.

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-10-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by PapaPepperronio1
Hey Luck,

Just tested the MAP sensor with the multimeter. 2.926 in the "on" position. And it is about 2.69 when the bike is struggling to run. What do I do next? I am not sure what this means. I grabbed a new battery today because mine was a pile of junk. Let me know what you think and thanks so much for stickin' around.

Best,
Antonio

I'm sorry. I hope no one minds. As well as looking for help on this subject I am just needing to vent. The weather is beautiful out here, and I can't get on my bike. I really can't understand how a little sensor, if that is the problem, could cause this wicked weird problem on my bike. And if it is the problem it seems too simple. Also, 160 bucks for a little sensor! Holy cow! And the manual says that if the sensor is faulty, that "engine operates normally", clearly not! I really hope to find out that this is just a small problem creating huge symptoms. Like a mosquito, sucking a gallon of blood from you arm! And 9 miles a gallon when I do force the bike to go?! Wow, sooo, it's clearly getting fuel! Ahhhh! Please feel free to send your input my way.....Weather it be poking fun, sharing similar stories, a hug, what ever you might have for me! Thanks so much every one! As frustrated as I am, it's very nice to have this community!

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 AM

have you looked on ebay for a MAP sensor? i purchased mine for $60 on ebay. do you have any friends who ride f4i's? you could just swap the sensor out and see if your problem goes away, if it does than i am willing to bet you would pay the $160 for a new one. good luck man

Old 04-11-2009, 02:40 AM

Antonio, refer to the graph on page 5-79. Sounds like you have a bad MAP sensor. I've PM'd you a link that should help... I'm PMing it to you and not posting it because it's not relavant information regarding the diagnosis of the MAP sensor.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:57 AM

Sorry to hear about your first bike issue man. You may want to test your throttle position sensor as well as making sure all vacuum hoses are plugged in and not cracked. Also do a quick check on the spark plug wires. I've seen those silly little things go out and cause all sorts of issues.

The resistance on the map sensor sounds about right. I'd test everything else before replacing parts blindly. Crank sensor, pulse generator, bank angle sensor and coils. Also check the electrical plugs for corrosion just to get that out of the way as well.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:16 AM

Hey Six,

You bet I'd pay 160.00 If I knew that was the problem. Unfortunately, I guess this is due to being a new rider, I don't have any friends who ride actually, it's just me. I am moving into an apartment this summer where my neighbor has an 02 f4i. Would be a long shot for someone who barley knows me! And hopefully I will have it figured out by then!

Luck,

Thanks so much for the help on this. I will be checking out your PM soon. I will let you know how that goes. Thanks so much.

Augr,

Someone else also recently brought to attention that I should check all the vacuum hoses much more closely. I was wondering if it may be worth while to get a vacuum gauge too. Or see if I can borrow one from somebody. When you say to check the wires, do I need to tear about the wiring harness. Or just check where I can see single wires, not within the black casing. Some of the plugs are a little dirty, but nothing looks terrible. I will check all those more closely as well.

Thank you all so much for your help. I appreciate everything you all are doing so much.

Best,
Antonio

Quick Reply: 2001 F4i with several ssilly problems!