F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 F4i with several ssilly problems!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F4i with several ssilly problems!

Hello All,

New to the forums here, looking to get some help with those willing to shoot me some advice as well as help where I can.

I will try to keep this post basic so I am not making anyone read to much at once and allow things to get confusing!...I'll try!

To begin, 2001 CBR 600 f4i. This is my first bike, very exciting. It would not start when I got it, unless throttle was cracked open. I would have to hold the throttle open to keep it at about 1500rpms. It would not fire any faster than that.

I took out gas, which was wicked bad, rancid, terrible! Changed fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, cleaned injectors, tank, fittings, and everything else I could in the fuel system. Changed oil & filter, and coolant flushed. The battery was bone dry which was wierd, so I had it filled and recharged, professionaly, or by a professional. I am scared of batteries, bad experiences!

After all that, I hit the start button, it fires right up, idles well, for about 10 seconds, then dies. I then have to resort to having throttle open to get it started then keep it going. After holding it steady for a little bit, it shoots up through the roof in RPMs. Once it's above 3000rpm, it is very responsive to throttle, until it drops below that, then it dies.

I can bump start it to jump above 3 grand, so I took it out today. Was very fun, but throttle was sluggish in gear most of the time, but sometimes the bike pulled like nothing else I had been on before, such a blast! That battery voltage jumps all over the place.

I will stop there, I have done more, and could say more as well. Though I will stop and let the questions and ideas come in! I hope! Please let me know, I will let ya know more of what I have done, and what I have checked! I hope others are out enjoying the spring on there bikes! Thanks so much!

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-05-2009, 06:36 PM

Wow, that sounds like a tough one. I too just bought a 01 F4i (black/silver), before that I had a 97 gsxr 600. I love my F4i. My battery wouldn't hold a charge after about a week after I bought it, so I just picked up a new one and I have no problems now.

Good luck, hopefully it is an easy fix.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Exclamation

Hey! Yea, I believe I will enjoy this machine immensely once I get it going right, even as it is, it's a blast! If I may ask, what kind of problems were you having before you changed your battery? Or were they pretty minor? Thanks so much!

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 PM

change the sprk plugs ?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 PM

When I got it, it started fine, but I think I drained the battery playing with the alarm system too much and that was the nail in the coffin for it. It would barely prime the fuel pump, and just tick if I tried to start it. I could still bump start it fine, but that got annoying fast. Tried charging the battery a few times, but she was toast. Went to the Honda dealership and got a new one for $72 (CDN) and all is well now.

Changing your plugs sounds like a good idea. How many miles do you have on it? Mine has 9,900.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM

I have changed the spark plugs. The ones that came out were not really that bad. Iridium plugs, to spec and all that. It has about 18,600 miles. I am also wondering about shorts somewhere, and maybe bad grounds. I haven't thought much about mechanical, but it seems electrical to me. Please keep the thoughts coming! Thanks so much!

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-05-2009, 10:50 PM

This is just a guess, but when I forgot to re-connect the throttle position sensor to my carbs on my 97 gsxr 600, the bike ran like **** in low rpms, terrible response.. plugged it back in and it solved the problem..

Maybe you should lift the tank and check for a loose wire or a short in that connector which is on the right side of the of the throttle bodies.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:46 PM

Of course, I have lifted the tank and air box off the motorcycle. The throttle position sensor was clean and plugged in. I could try tracing the wire back and check for splits and such. The TPS is also part of the entire throttle body, so I can't just replace the sensor. Ugh, there are so many things that could be wrong, but I am sure it is just one thing. Just need to find it without throwing piles of money at it!

Thanks for the info, still keeping the gears moving.

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Hey All,

Thanks for the thoughts thus far, I hope to see more rolling in. This has become an obsession and is quite irritating, I am so close to getting the bike @ 100%, I hope!

I had a few more ideas of what it might be, maybe? Yesterday, while I was out on it, I got terrible mileage, and I assume this is because I had to hold throttle open just to keep it at idle. So I assume, it was getting all the gas that I was allowing it with throttle. Really, like 10mpg. Not so hot.

I was also leaning towards coils. I hear there are low rpm and high rpm coils in the pack. Using the voltmeter, they checked out, but maybe I missed something?

Also, could it just be a crumby battery? I haven't replaced it yet, but I don't understand why it would be causing these problems. I am scared of batteries, so I haven't opened it up and checked each individual cell quite yet. But I know I doesn't hold a charge very well, and the bike does not seem to charge the battery either. I haven't checked charging system yet.

What do you all think?

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 AM

You guys are shooting in the dark.

Antonio, being a fuel injected bike, you need to pull codes. I swear to christ, I'm going to put that line in my sig. Anyway... pull codes and go from there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 F4i with several ssilly problems!