F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2 exhaust modification questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 exhaust modification questions

Well, I got the APE CCT installed and the bike is running like a top again. Many thanks to those who answered my questions. Now I'm looking at the stock exhaust thinking that it would be nice if it were a *little* louder.

I really don't feel like spending money on a slip-on at the moment as mine is a 7 year old bike and there is no way I'll recoup that expense on resale. I have seen a few threads about cutting the stock can down a bit. I'd like to take 1/3 or less off. I read Sick's thread regarding the slip-on chop.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with cutting the stock muffler down slightly? I have access to a machine shop so I am just wondering if you liked the results.

2. Can I get away with doing this without installing a power commander AND without screwing up my air/fuel ratio?

Thanks guys.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 PM

I can't answer the first question but I'm sure cutting down the stock exhaust wont make anymore of a difference than a slip-on. You don't need a power commander or anything for just a slip on so I'd say your air/fuel ratio will be fine.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 PM

the owner before me cut the stock pipe and rewelded it back together. weld looks like crap but i like the sound. makes it nice and loud, but not annoying. i have never herd the stock exhaust so im not sure how it compares. i can load up a picture if you'd like.

I have considered re-cutting it and using rivits like after market exhaust but im afraid it will make it too short because where i would have to cut due to the welds.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

If all your concerned about it re-sale value then why modify it at all? Really weird way to think IMO....

Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I may just end up buying a slip-on, I just don't want something that is too loud. I like that my bike isn't a cop magnet at the moment.

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
If all your concerned about it re-sale value then why modify it at all? Really weird way to think IMO....
Not resale value per se. I just mean that, generally speaking, you don't recoup the costs of modifications upon resale (like you would on a house) so there is an incentive to spend as little as possible on them.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Arabian
Thanks for the help guys. I may just end up buying a slip-on, I just don't want something that is too loud. I like that my bike isn't a cop magnet at the moment.

Not resale value per se. I just mean that, generally speaking, you don't recoup the costs of modifications upon resale (like you would on a house) so there is an incentive to spend as little as possible on them.
nice thing about slip ons is you can take it off if the buyer doesn't want to pay for it on the bike. you can always throw it up on the forums and recoup some money. probably more than a cheap buyer would want to spend if it came on the bike.