F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

1 Suspension Q, 1 Brake Q.

  #1  
Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Ryans CBR's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 121
Question 1 Suspension Q, 1 Brake Q.

Is there some magic number or setting for the F4i based on weight (starting at absolute tightest loosen 4 full rotations, or something along those lines)? Is there someplace that will walk me through adjusting my suspension for me? I'm 6'1 165, and the previous owner was about 220 lbs.

Second question, what brakes do you use? Do you stick with OEM pads or do you go for an aftermarket pad? I don't really need more braking power, but if there's something that lasts longer and has either better or the same braking power I'd opt for them...
 
  #2  
Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 PM
chainstretcher's Avatar
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conyers, GA
Posts: 6,908
Default

We have a how-to on here somewhere about setting the sag for you bike. Will take you in full gear and 2 friends to properly set up. But once you get it right it's amazing how nice these machines turn in

And maybe I'm not holding a popular view about brakes but here goes: if you can completely stop the wheel at speed then you got enough brakes. All this triple h sintered, splintered and shintered means squat. The "feel" you get is mainly in upgrades to your brake lines. Decent SS brake lines are a little piece of heaven IMO ...
 
  #3  
Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Ryans CBR's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 121
Default

I'll search for that write up, I'm guessing by the full gear reference you mean it's kind of a "trial and error" type thing? I'm not a racer by any means, but anything to get it closer to my optimal settings would be great!

That's kind of what I was thinking about the brakes, the OEMs are perfectly fine, I was mostly wondering about longevity. I'll look into the stainless lines, I put them on my M5 and it made a world of difference in pedal feel.
 
  #4  
Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 PM
chainstretcher's Avatar
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conyers, GA
Posts: 6,908
Default

Originally Posted by Ryans CBR View Post
I'll search for that write up, I'm guessing by the full gear reference you mean it's kind of a "trial and error" type thing? I'm not a racer by any means, but anything to get it closer to my optimal settings would be great!

That's kind of what I was thinking about the brakes, the OEMs are perfectly fine, I was mostly wondering about longevity. I'll look into the stainless lines, I put them on my M5 and it made a world of difference in pedal feel.
Sorry, not clear again, I think faster than I type Full gear is anything you'd be wearing (helmet, leathers, boots, backpack, etc) while riding the bike. It is good to get your ideal set up within 10 lbs or so. Here is a recent thread with some good info on suspension setup.
 
  #5  
Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Ryans CBR's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 121
Default

Thanks for the link! I'm also going to ask the guys at Badger cycle if they can help me with this while they change my tires.
 
  #6  
Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 AM
PlayfulGod's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dalton, GA
Posts: 6,026
Default

Originally Posted by chainstretcher View Post
We have a how-to on here somewhere about setting the sag for you bike. Will take you in full gear and 2 friends to properly set up. But once you get it right it's amazing how nice these machines turn in

And maybe I'm not holding a popular view about brakes but here goes: if you can completely stop the wheel at speed then you got enough brakes. All this triple h sintered, splintered and shintered means squat. The "feel" you get is mainly in upgrades to your brake lines. Decent SS brake lines are a little piece of heaven IMO ...
k we'll change out your sintered pads for some organic ones and see what ya think then lol.
 
  #7  
Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 861
Default

I read a real good article on how to set up suspension, unfortunately I didn't bookmark it, and don't remember how I ran across it, might have been a link in another post. But here's a link on where to start
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...gs/index4.html
Its just a general setting to start with, every bike, and rider will be different.
 
  #8  
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: so.cal
Posts: 272
  #9  
Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
chainstretcher's Avatar
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conyers, GA
Posts: 6,908
Default

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
k we'll change out your sintered pads for some organic ones and see what ya think then lol.
Organic Ya, that brings me back to the awful old days ... them's some squeakin non-stopping *****'s them organic pads

But then again there were some of those organics that wouldn't lock down the front wheel on ice so I stand by my statement
 
  #10  
Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM
PlayfulGod's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dalton, GA
Posts: 6,026
Default

Originally Posted by chainstretcher View Post
Organic Ya, that brings me back to the awful old days ... them's some squeakin non-stopping *****'s them organic pads

But then again there were some of those organics that wouldn't lock down the front wheel on ice so I stand by my statement
our bikes come with sintered HH pads anyhow lol. Ya couldnt pay me to use organic pads anymore lol.

hell I'll be putting ceramic pads on my jeep soon.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
odishamiltoniii
F4i - Main Forum
9
04-14-2012 09:13 AM
Black Rider
CBR 1000F "Hurricane"
23
11-01-2009 06:09 PM
Hayden06F4i
General Tech
11
06-17-2008 09:50 AM
exup547
General Tech
1
09-14-2006 08:10 PM
exup547
General Tech
0
09-14-2006 04:40 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1 Suspension Q, 1 Brake Q.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.