F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

1 Suspension Q, 1 Brake Q.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1 Suspension Q, 1 Brake Q.

Is there some magic number or setting for the F4i based on weight (starting at absolute tightest loosen 4 full rotations, or something along those lines)? Is there someplace that will walk me through adjusting my suspension for me? I'm 6'1 165, and the previous owner was about 220 lbs.

Second question, what brakes do you use? Do you stick with OEM pads or do you go for an aftermarket pad? I don't really need more braking power, but if there's something that lasts longer and has either better or the same braking power I'd opt for them...

Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a how-to on here somewhere about setting the sag for you bike. Will take you in full gear and 2 friends to properly set up. But once you get it right it's amazing how nice these machines turn in

And maybe I'm not holding a popular view about brakes but here goes: if you can completely stop the wheel at speed then you got enough brakes. All this triple h sintered, splintered and shintered means squat. The "feel" you get is mainly in upgrades to your brake lines. Decent SS brake lines are a little piece of heaven IMO ...

Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM

I'll search for that write up, I'm guessing by the full gear reference you mean it's kind of a "trial and error" type thing? I'm not a racer by any means, but anything to get it closer to my optimal settings would be great!

That's kind of what I was thinking about the brakes, the OEMs are perfectly fine, I was mostly wondering about longevity. I'll look into the stainless lines, I put them on my M5 and it made a world of difference in pedal feel.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by Ryans CBR
I'll search for that write up, I'm guessing by the full gear reference you mean it's kind of a "trial and error" type thing? I'm not a racer by any means, but anything to get it closer to my optimal settings would be great!

That's kind of what I was thinking about the brakes, the OEMs are perfectly fine, I was mostly wondering about longevity. I'll look into the stainless lines, I put them on my M5 and it made a world of difference in pedal feel.
Sorry, not clear again, I think faster than I type Full gear is anything you'd be wearing (helmet, leathers, boots, backpack, etc) while riding the bike. It is good to get your ideal set up within 10 lbs or so. Here is a recent thread with some good info on suspension setup.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the link! I'm also going to ask the guys at Badger cycle if they can help me with this while they change my tires.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
We have a how-to on here somewhere about setting the sag for you bike. Will take you in full gear and 2 friends to properly set up. But once you get it right it's amazing how nice these machines turn in

And maybe I'm not holding a popular view about brakes but here goes: if you can completely stop the wheel at speed then you got enough brakes. All this triple h sintered, splintered and shintered means squat. The "feel" you get is mainly in upgrades to your brake lines. Decent SS brake lines are a little piece of heaven IMO ...
k we'll change out your sintered pads for some organic ones and see what ya think then lol.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM

I read a real good article on how to set up suspension, unfortunately I didn't bookmark it, and don't remember how I ran across it, might have been a link in another post. But here's a link on where to start
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...gs/index4.html
Its just a general setting to start with, every bike, and rider will be different.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
k we'll change out your sintered pads for some organic ones and see what ya think then lol.
Organic Ya, that brings me back to the awful old days ... them's some squeakin non-stopping *****'s them organic pads

But then again there were some of those organics that wouldn't lock down the front wheel on ice so I stand by my statement

Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Organic Ya, that brings me back to the awful old days ... them's some squeakin non-stopping *****'s them organic pads

But then again there were some of those organics that wouldn't lock down the front wheel on ice so I stand by my statement
our bikes come with sintered HH pads anyhow lol. Ya couldnt pay me to use organic pads anymore lol.

hell I'll be putting ceramic pads on my jeep soon.