F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4i Tune up tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too run the rotella t after doing a lot of research. Seams like one of the best oils to use from all the tests run on it. Its cheap and you know its up for the challenge of a high demand engine such as ours.

I have the K&N filter but didnt really notice much of a difference. Maybe once I get the power commander on her I will. In the mean time its one more thing to go on my signature. lol

Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F4ith
With Rotella, does it matter if it's "synthetic" vs "fully synthetic"?
AFAIK, there's two oil types readily sold: Rotella "T" synthetic (5W-40) Blue Jug, and Rotella "T-Triple Protection" regular oil (15W-40) White Jug. You can use the 5W-40 year round, or switch between the two, depending on your average operating temperature. Meaning you can use the thicker "white jug" oil during the Summer.

If in doubt, you can browse through the Shell Rotella Motorcycle Forum - LINK.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by jondevos
I too run the rotella t after doing a lot of research. Seams like one of the best oils to use from all the tests run on it. Its cheap and you know its up for the challenge of a high demand engine such as ours.

I have the K&N filter but didnt really notice much of a difference. Maybe once I get the power commander on her I will. In the mean time its one more thing to go on my signature. lol
Im running a D&D exhaust and noticed a big difference from stock to K&N. Yesterday i added my power commander with one of thier web maps and it added the same gain again. definately worth it.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:41 PM

I was in exactly the same situation as you are right now, when I got my bike.

Here is the list of things I have already done and brands I used/using
Maybe this will give you some ideas. Also check the "How to" section. It really helped me with the sprocket/chain swap

Sprockets/Chain: Vortex (-1/+2) and Regina chain (520)
Yes, it is better to swap everything simultaneously. (I'd even say it's a must)

Brake pads: Galfer - they have several different grades: for street, track\street and full performance. I'd suggest to go with track\street setup.

Oil: always used Castrol 10W - 40 Synthetic. Works great.
Oil filter: have used a couple of K&N filters, no troubles there either.

Don't know much about the rotors. The rear rotor on my bike is in great condition, since I'm not using it at all. Another suggestion I have for you is to change the air filter to K&N while you are at it.

Just changed spark plugs on my bike. Don't remember the brand to be honest, but here is a site for you to check out: http://www.oppracing.com/products/265-brisk-sparkplugs/

There are always tons of little nuances to consider when working on your bike. Especially our bikes being from the sporty breed require some additional attention. Don't hesitate to ask, if you have any additional questions or want me to explain something.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:31 PM

yes it matters only use the sythnetic rotella. That oil is by far superior to the expensive name brands out there. If you google it you will find reports that show the breakdown in viscosity. No motor cycyle oil should contain friction modifers. Go with 5w-40 rotella as the previous guy stated. All the other is simply a waste of money.