F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4i Tune up tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010 | 06:51 PM
|
Default 01 F4i Tune up tips

Im new to the Bike riding world, and working on bike world. I just bought my first bike last Saturday. A 2001 Honda CBR600 F4i. My Dad who has been riding for close to 25 years, went with me to get the bike. He said i will need new front brake pads, Rear pads, Rear Rotor, and a New Chain. Like i was saying im new to this whole thing. could any one recommend some good parts. they dont need to be track worthy parts being i just ride it back and forth to work and for fun.

I also want to do a full tune up, try to get her running the best i can. she already runs very smooth. but i dont know the last time the plugs and oil were changed

So what i need to know...

What kind of Brake pads do you recommend for the front & Rear ?

What kind of brake Rotors ?

Should i replace both the Sprockets and Chain ?

If so with what brand ?

What kind of Oil do you recommend ?

What kind of Spark Plugs ?

Sorry for the noob questions, i just want to have a nice reliable bike

Old 03-09-2010 | 07:22 PM

If its running perfectly smooth dont touch the plugs. when it needs them, always run the Iridiums specified for it. Buy them at a autoparts store. they will be around $10 a piece but the bike dealers want almost $20. always replace chain and sprockets as a set. As far as brands I dont like to get into that much. everyone has there own opinion. I've run parts unlimited with good results though and usually cheaper than others. be sure you get an o-ring chain and lube it often.

Old 03-09-2010 | 07:45 PM

+1 on jonld about brands. Everyone has their preference. Here's just some FYI to give you some direction:

Chain & Sprockets: (Stick with stock) 525 Chain 108 Link O or X ring chain, 16 teeth Front sprocket, 46 Teeth rear sprocket

Spark plugs...depending on mileage may or may not need changing. They should be good for 15K miles...its your call on changing them. Definitely iridium...nothing else!

Oil, stick with the 4T oil for motorcycles. And do change your filter when you do the oil change just like you would with your car.

Lot of this work you can prolly do yourself just Google to find the service manual to help yourself out. And for some simple How-To's check out: http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/

Old 03-09-2010 | 07:54 PM
|

Thanks for your help, I'm ASE certified. but this is my first small engine on toy with 2 wheels. my Mom and Dad run Amsoil in there bikes. anybody have a opinion on that stuff. i run royal purple in my car and i love it. but IF something else would work better im more then willing to five it a shot

Old 03-10-2010 | 11:48 AM

I run amsoil full synthetic.... it is good but kinda expensive.

Old 03-10-2010 | 04:00 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Hey there Palermo, congratulations on your new bike. With every vehicle purchased, I've always changed the oil, anti-freeze, airfilter, and the plugs. This gives me a baseline to start on; knowing when they were changed last.
As for the brakes and drive train, inspection will determine if they need servicing.
Depending on how many miles you have on that bike, you may want to consider checking your valves (shims). Manual recommends this at 16K although some fellas go til 32K without problems, and while you're there, synchronize the throttle bodies.
With oil, I've been using Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic. It's an awesome "heavy duty" oil, commonly used in demanding big-rig diesel engines. It goes for $22 dollars (4 qts.) at Walmart. Most people change their oil around the 3K mile interval.
FYI, here's a couple of links: Service Manual & Owner's Manual.
Welcome to CBRF

Old 03-10-2010 | 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
With oil, I've been using Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic. It's an awesome "heavy duty" oil, commonly used in demanding big-rig diesel engines. It goes for $22 dollars (4 qts.) at Walmart. Most people change their oil around the 3K mile interval.
FYI, here's a couple of links: Service Manual & Owner's Manual.
Welcome to CBRF

With Rotella, does it matter if it's "synthetic" vs "fully synthetic"?

Old 03-10-2010 | 07:41 PM
July 2010 ROTM

i hate the rotella stuff

use yamalube im serious-i love that stuff

Old 03-10-2010 | 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by F4ith
With Rotella, does it matter if it's "synthetic" vs "fully synthetic"?
When you think of Rotella T just remember "blue." Don't touch the white jug.

Old 03-11-2010 | 05:21 PM
|

is the K&N air filter really worth it on a bike, i have the K&N on my car, but thats has a lot bigger engine

Quick Reply: 01 F4i Tune up tips