F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

What did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I do?

I dropped my bike today in the driveway. I have done this a few times no problems but this time I noticed some gas had leaked out. Didn't think much of it and started the bike up. Idled it and it ran fine for about 1/4 a mile and then it died like it was getting no gas. Tried to crank it up and got nothing. My battery is dead and when I tried to push start it it wouldnt turn over. My guess is that I messed something up with the petcock but I have no clue. Maybe others have had this happen. Anyone know?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 AM

Did you try switch to reserve?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did the vac line from the carb to the petcock fall off

Old 10-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Yeah I tried the reserve and got nothing. Ill check the vac line when I get the bike home its been sitting in a church parking lot while I wait for my friend with a truck to come help me bring it back.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Best to let it sit....few hours & then push start....should start.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 AM

The fuel could have drained into parts of the carbs that there isn't supposed to be fuel. I dropped mine once and when i tried to start it, it clacked and clattered. Realized a bunch of fuel flowed out of the carbs and into the oil. Changed my oil and it was all better. Good luck.

May need to let it sit and allow the fuel to evaporate. May also need to check the petcock for proper operation as well as make sure the vacuum hose is still attached good.

Did you accidentally hit the kill switch picking it back up or while trying to start it????

Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 PM

When I drop my dual-sport, sometimes it floods if you don't pick it up right away. Just hold the throttle WOT and crank it over to clear it out. But if it ran for a little bit and died, then maybe the hose for the petcock fell off as mentioned.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:51 PM

It didnt fall over while running. When I continued to try and push start it I could smell fuel so I am guessing it was either starting to flow or was flowing out of the bike. Ill check it out later tonight and update. Thanks guys.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Update here and I need some help.

Took the whole bike apart today and I am down to the air box. From what I saw all the lines were still connected to the petcock and when I took the petcock off there wasnt even any fuel that dripped out of the tubes. This seemed kind of strange to me because the bike has been sitting in my garage with the pet **** turned on until I turned it off today.

What could be wrong? Petcock messed up? How can I check to see if its working properly?

EDIT: I turned the pet **** on and turned the tank over and nothing came out. Only a little bit came out of the run-off hole in the back but nothing came out of the main gas hole. I switched to reserve and got the same thing. Is the petcock messed up?

Last edited by ljastangs21; 01-11-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 AM

The petcock is vacuum activated so the engine needs to be running in order for the fuel to flow. To see if is working properly suck on the vacuum line that runs from the engine to the petcock.