F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

What did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBaron
Bike starts up? Errrr no your question was how to test if the petcock was messed up or not, so all your doing is checking if it's working correctly. If it flows fuel when you do this then you can rule it out as the problem and look elsewhere.
Im saying if the fuel does flow after sucking then I should re attach everything and attempt to start the bike correct?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Yeah my bad, let us know how it goes.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 PM

And what happens if it dies again? Can I assume I have a hole in my vacuum hose or that the vacuum on the bike isnt working? Does that ever happen?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 PM

Have you pulled the/a spark plug to check it/them yet? You need to see if your plugs are soaked with fuel. Make sure you are getting fuel to the carbs before you go any farther. Do as instructed. With the tank right side up and the top of the tank level with the ground, remove the small vacuum line from the #1 intake port nipple and connect one end to the small nipple on the petcock. With the petcock **** in the ON position put suction on the other end of the small vacuum line and see if fuel comes out of the tank. Fuel WILL NOT come out of the tank without vacuum being present to pull on the diaphragm in the petcock. Make sure the tank is over some rags or whatever to catch any spilled fuel. If you're getting fuel to the carbs, obviously it's not a fuel starvation issue. It COULD be a flooding issue though. Think floats and needles.

Another thing. Forget about getting this fixed with one visit to your Mom's place unless you are taking three professional bike mechanics with you when you go, it's just not gonna happen. You have to eliminate each possible cause step by step to get it fixed. Also, you may need to come back and ask questions and that takes time too.

Above all, don't get in a hurry. That's how you miss things. How do I know this? I've been in a hurry before and it didn't work out for me.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM

An engine is basically an air pump. So when the piston is on the intake stroke it creates a low pressure/vacuum & atmospheric pressure pushes the air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber. When cranking the engine there is always enough vacuum to open the fuel valve.
What did I do?-imag0671.jpg
This is an example of a fuel tank that was left upside down with fuel in it for too long. Turn your fuel tank right side up or something like this could happen.

Test the fuel petcock, change the spark plugs, & charge the battery.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 PM

Changed battery and checked the petcock. Fuel flowed when I sucked on it and I felt the suction coming from the carbs when I put my finger next to the hole while cranking it. It would continually crank but wouldnt turn over.

Should I change the spark plugs first or put gas directly in the carbs and see if that does the trick?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Have you pulled plugs after trying to start it? If they're wet you may have the same problem I have. If I figure mine out I'll tell you about it.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wranghondo
Have you pulled plugs after trying to start it? If they're wet you may have the same problem I have. If I figure mine out I'll tell you about it.
Nope gonna pull the plugs here in a few days and ill let you know

Old 02-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ljastangs21
Nope gonna pull the plugs here in a few days and ill let you know
I just got my bike running about two hours ago. After all the messing around, pulling the carbs three times etc., I put a new set of plugs in and it fired right up. Runs like a champ! Bad plugs.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:51 PM

Checked the new plugs for spark by grounding them into the engine and got nothing on #1 or #4. Electrical issue?