F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

smoke coming out #2

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke coming out #2

I reset my pilot screws and am at 2 5/8 turns out right now. its idling at around 2,600 rpms partially warmed up. I've noticed the smoke before and its only in one cylinder (the second one). The only reasonable conclusion I can surmise is that somehow its running rich and backfiring (its not though) but shouldn't the smoke be comming out of two cylinders or I mean carb throats not just one? Also I've been using anti-seize on carb grommets is that conclusive as to why?

The pilot screws are fuel screws btw if that helps.

Last edited by coldflood; 06-08-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: omition
Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Ok, was it white smoke and does it let up at all.

2.When you cleaned your carbs, was that pilot screw turned in more than the others?

3. Do you smell the sweet taste of antifreeze or choking of burning oil?

My .02 cents is maybe, just maybe you might have the same predicament my wife did. Previous owner jacked with the carbs; when we got the bike and I cleaned them and noticed how the carbs were set up and fixed it to the right settings. When I installed the carbs with new spark plugs, it was smoking like a b!tc# of white smoke like a gasket was cracked. I Let it run a while and it calmed down and went away. Smoking like it had carbon build up/gasoline deposits on the valves/pistons from not running right for years.

Ride it around the block if it doesn't have a smell and get back with us.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't use terms like "partially warmed up" - get the bike up to normal operating temp before troubleshooting this sort of stuff, otherwise you might just be chasing your tail due to a bike that isn't very cold-natured.

Warmed up, 2600 is way high for idle, and if it is rich rich the bike isn't going to idle fast - lean usually causes the idle to climb a little, but 2600 is way too high.

2600 while having a miss, that's even more confusing.

I hope you're seeing fuel vapor, not actual smoke making it all the way out of your carb. And yes - if only one cylinder has a miss, then you should only see that from the 1affected carb.

It seems that you're describing multiple issues.

First things first - make sure your choke is completely closed, so that the bypass circuit isn't active. Then back the idle screw back down to around 1200 rpm. It is possible at 26oo you're sitting right in the middle of the "step" between low speed and high speed circuits, and one carb is further off then the others.

If the miss only happens to the 1 carb around 2600, and higher or lower RPM makes it go away - then you probably need a good cleanout and carb sync.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess my other question is, the smoke you're describing is only coming out of the top of the carb rite? (I'm assuming you dont have your air cleaner and fuel tank in place.)

Otherwise, I can't figure out how you know the "smoke" is coming from a particular cylinder, unless you have clear headers.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Compression and cylinder leak down test . Might have a bad ring

Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well smokes coming out of all of them now its white smoke if that helps and odorless and intermittent i got the bike up to operating temperature now it and climbs to around 3,000rpm I can seem to get to lower it was at around 2 and a quarter screws out the previous owner did jet it with a 40 main jet idk if they did any thing else I'll have to check. And yes the air cleaner is currently off. I was using the inductive clamp previously but decided to just tap the signal from the ICM its alot more acurate. buts its still jumping a couple 100 rpm at a time doesn't sound terrible though.