F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

*sigh* so it finally gave in...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanna know where that avatar pic is cut from?

A shirt I designed and ordered online

Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice... are you a frequenter of Oktoberfest gatherings?

Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

I wish... Never been anywhere near... The nearest I`ve ever been to Germany is my car that has imported from there at some point... Just a cellar dweller at home... Have about 100-ish beers there normally, ATM somewhere around 40 or so and most of them are of two or three brands plus the specials. Got one Nogne O India Saison waiting in the freezer after sauna.

Do you have Jaegermeister there? Just finished a jekkubattery aka Jaeger with energy drink. A great combo!

Yep, I`m at vacation right now and been drinking some during the evening, 23:40 here ATM, gonna go to the sauna now. Ever tried? It`s really relaxing...

Totally offtopic now, but I guess this thread served it`s purpose and has room for some casual chatter now... As I`ve said in the past I like to see threads branch out...

Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM

You should add brewing your own beer to your cellar activities!

Yeah, I love time in a sauna - the house we were scoping out before picking the one we actually bought, had a dry sauna built in the basement... I was really looking forward to that!

Oh yeah, we've got Jaegermeister here - I can't say I'm a huge fan, but I'm not saying I didn't like it when I tried it. I bartended for years, so I've tried about everything, and definitely am more inclined toward liquor than beer... but really I'm just uber picky when it comes to beer.

I used to mix Mountain Dew's AMP energy drink with vodka, and rather than the common vodka and Red Bull thing everyone seems to love, I preferred to use Jack, or Bourbon, or a dark rum with the Red Bull - to me it just complimented better... nothin' like gettin' a buzz going while getting more energized at the same time!

Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 PM

Nothing better than going to a wood fire heated sauna at a friend`s cottage after midnight on a completely serene night and sipping cold beer at the terrace looking over the mirror-flat surface of a small lake in front of it... slamming millions of mosquitoes

I remember one time when we were at a cottage of a friend of a friend that sits at a small valley between two steep rock cliffs and went at the sauna there, I went out and thought I`d take a swim at the small lake between the cliffs.

No one told me it`s actually a V-shaped spring over 300 meters deep, the water was just barely above freezing at midsummer! That was the fastest time I`ve ever clocked from the pier back on it again...

"sadly" the one at our apartment is an electric one but it copes, although everyone knows the best ones are the old wood burners...

another beer from the fridge an back to the "shelf" ;D

Old 07-29-2013, 01:53 PM

Swapped the CCT, topped up with Castrol Act>evo 4t 20w50, purrs like a sack of kittens! Twas so easy I didn`t even bother opening an advisory beer...

Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson
purrs like a sack of kittens!
...for the first 500km after which the NEW OEM cct gave in, and now it rattles like ten times what it did...

Going for the APE...

Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 AM

...for the first 500km after which the NEW OEM cct gave in, and now it rattles like ten times what it did...

Going for the APE...
Man, that is some bad luck on CCTs, both of my F2s have the OEM CCT, and though I'm not certain about the second bike, my first F2 still has the original unit... I have sure been lucky on this front!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM

I started to think why, is the chain itself stretched beyond the reach of the tensioner (highly unlikely) is there crap in the ducts and ports preventing proper oil flow (-> engine flush?) or is the new tensioner just crap. I`d have to get the bike back to running order till the next weekend and there`s no way an APE would come in time from the states... Figured I might throw the old one in just for giggles and see what it does...

Old 08-07-2013, 01:44 PM

I started to think why...

...Figured I might throw the old one in just for giggles and see what it does...
So I went to the garage today to ponder about this, took the old CCT and took a look at it. From my experience NOTHING inside an engine is there for no good reason so the pin holding the CCT together got my attention. Why would there be a pin if it`s not meant to be taken apart, Honda could have EASILY made it so that the piston cannot come out of there. So I took the pin out and disassembled the whole device:

This is all that makes a CCT, apart from one thing that you cannot see in this picture: the blowback valve inside the "cylinder", I started thinking about the mechanics of the whole thing and the valve is basically the ONLY thing that even CAN fail in this, so I took the compressor air gun and blew half a dozen short shots of air into the little hole the oil is supposed to go into the valve, and got the whole cylinder full of milky, foamy, gooy crap. My theory is that the impurities in the oil get between the valve thus preventing it from shutting completely and that causes oil pressure to drop inside the CCT every time the revs are dropped. So I cleaned the whole thing really well, shot some more air into the hole and noticed a significant change in the sound of the valve, it now keeps a sharp snap instead of that lame tired pop it used to keep.

I put it back together, tore the bike down, swapped the old cleaned CCT in the place of the "new" one and fired her up.

Guess what?

It´s working.

There is A rattle, but it`s clearly not THE rattle the new CCT kept every time the oil pressure dropped cause it only sounds when revved and specially when I keep the revs at around 3k, so I`m thinking it might even be a resonance of something. Of course I`d have to ride it properly hot before I know if it really was that easy but it`s raining hard so that`ll have to wait a few days.

Last edited by Mattson; 08-07-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: grammar and typo fix

Quick Reply: *sigh* so it finally gave in...