F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

rod bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rod bearing replacement

hey guys i have a 94 f2 and i jus threw a rod bearing the other day and i need some help on how to replace it myself...im trying to figure out how much it will cost me and how much work its actually going to be so if you guys could help me out that would be great...

thanks

Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 PM

The crank is probably trash unless umpteen measurements convince you that it's still in spec, once you get the crank out. Essentially, you wanna get that motor out of there and start tearing her down. Motor needs to come all the way down to the crank. It's pretty much the last part you take out. Depending on how long it has gone on, you will definitely need a new rod (usually come in a set, because they're weighted as a set, you see.) and likely a new oil pump. Little bits of bearing get through the sump screen and put an end to the oil pump regardless of whatever faith anyone has in that super coarse screen that sucks oil up to the pump. It's important to tear the engine all the way down and insure that there's no shavings stuck anywhere. Clean/purge everything really well.

How'd you do it? Really old motor? Overrev? Coolant migration? Low/bad oil?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 PM

Got my bearings for ~7.99 a set on www.ServiceHonda.com. Got a used good crank on eBay and refinished the journals with 2000 grit sandpaper after mic-ing and plastigaging everything out to make sure it would be okay.

You'll also need to take a note that your rods have special internal diameters depending on how Honda made them, and your bearing journals on the crank also have special diameters. For example, on the rod pin that spun the bearing, you may have had a "C" size pin and an "A" size lower rod bearing bore, so you'd have to use the little chart that Honda has to find the corresponding bearing thickness for a "C" size crank pin and an "A" size lower rod bearing bore to insure that oil clearances are correct (I think around 1.5 to 2.5 thousandths, or thereabouts) so low/high oil pressure and excessive wear and noise is avoided.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 PM

Ok, I'm gona try & explain this. You will prolly have a bad crank, but the only way to know for sure is to remove the engine & pull the lower half of the cases apart & take a look at it. Some measuring will bw required. If there are some scratches that your finger nail gets caught on, the crank is prolly bad. The rod that spun the bearing is also most likely bad. So you will need a crank & at least one rod. Then you will need to cross reference the numbers on the crank, rods, & cases to get the correct bearing clearances.

On the left side (stator side) of the engine behind the flywheel there will be 5 letters A, B, or C in any specific order. (Example AABAC)

There will be a number & a letter on each rod. The number is the ID code & the letter is the weight code. You need the number. You can purchase a single rod if needed. They do not come as a set.

Next look at the crankshaft & find the letters & numbers. The numbers go with the main journals. So the letters on the left side of the cases & the numbers on the crank need to be cross referenced to get the correct bearing. The letters on the crank & the numbers on the rods go together & need to be cross referenced to get the correct bearing.

The letter on the rod (weight code) is not used. It can be used if you have say 2 A's & 2 B's. In that case you would want to put the A's on the outside & the B's in the middle or vise versa. Dont make it so you have an(ABAB). Make it so you have (ABBA) or (BAAB) If the letters dont match say you have 3 different letters then it doesn't really matter where they go.

An oil pump will also be needed as well as a serious cleaning to get rid of all the garbage that has been flowing in the engine.

Crankcase ID code

Crankshaft OD A B C

1 Pink Yellow Green
2 Yellow Green Brown
------------------------------------------------------
Con Rod ID

Crankshft OD 1 2

A Yellow Green

B Green Brown

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Project96; 04-22-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 AM

I tried to post a graph of the numbers & letters on the cases, rods, & crank but it kept taking out the spaces. Post your numbers & letters so we can get you the correct bearings. Or you can look at my last post at the bottom & get an idea.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:01 AM

Ya. I found the chart. Sorry I couldn't include that in my original post. We'll just do the size cross referencing for you if you pull the motor apart and get the rod and crank pin codes.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:09 AM
Default Honda cbr 600f3

Hi there sir i am also busy with my crank bearings at the moment i have the manual i got my casing codes i just dont find any numbers or codes on my crank . My crank is clean with no numbers. I measured my crank with a vernier as i dnt have a micrometer all my main journals measure between 32.85-32.9 is that how it is surpose to be as i see the std main bearing is 33m if im right .
conrod journals are 31.35 more a less can anyone pls help me as im just abit unsure about the measurements or what it is surpose to measure if anyone can tell me what the std measurements of the main and bigend journals are ill appreciate it .?

Old 06-02-2021, 05:15 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Where is this time machine everyone keeps finding here? I'd love to go back 10+ years!