F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

reinstalling a new electric starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reinstalling a new electric starter

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can shed some light on this. I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything on this forum or any online mechanical guides or diagrams.

I recently replaced the starter on my 93 f2 and since then I've been having what feels like hesitation or misfiring problems when I'm cruising 55+ mph. I've come across this problem before after installing an electric trunk kit on the bike and found it was one of the wires grounding against the frame. I think I might know what the problem is but I can't find any info about it online.

When reinstalling the starter there was originally a plate (of course I lost it and there is no mention of this piece in any diagram or the manual I have for the bike) which the ground and mounting bolts went through. In the center of the plate was a spot to mount another piece. I'm not sure how else to describe it so I attached a pic of what I'm talking about. Its between the 2 bolts mounting the starter. Does anyone know what this piece is and if it can be causing my problems? I just want to know if I'm wasting my time trying to track down this part.

Attached Thumbnails reinstalling a new electric starter-cimg0034.jpg