F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Ongoing bike work. The voyage continues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ongoing bike work. The voyage continues.

I'm in the process of getting my bike back to stock, which means i'm taking out the following:
  • jet kit
  • K&N filter
  • D&D exhaust (soooo obnoxious)
I bought a used OEM muffler for the bike, and when I put it on, it seems like there's a loose fit between the joint where the muffler and the headers meet. I put a typical cheapy pipe clamp on it, and it's still pretty loose. I was wondering if this was a bad thing? I was thinking of buying a new factory exhaust gasket (like this: https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/...95/part_58660/). But the cheapest I found was $17! Anybody know of an alternative I can use? or should i just bite the bullet?

Also, I'm working on replacing the clutch friction plates, checking the valve clearances, and doing a carb sync (as part of my complete tune-up/getting it road-worthy after 3 years of sitting). For taking apart the clutch, I don't have the specialty clutch basket holder (which I hear is all but impossible to find anyway). Can I just put the bike in gear and loosen the clutch lock nut that way? Or maybe leave the bike in neutral, put it on a rear stand, and lock the rear wheel in place?

Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 PM

what are you doing with the jet kit and D&D exhaust. i have a D&D slipon but its scuffed up

Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Wink

Id like to see of I could get either of those slipons of you two?

Last edited by TooBroke0029; 03-26-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Stupidity
Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 AM

To be honest... The slip on is definitely not worth it to be bothered... I've looked at restoring it with a new carbon fiber canister and new internal packaging... it'll probably cost just as much as a new one. I'll take pictures and upload them if you want though...

I'm actually not too sure if I can get the old jet kit out now... I just remembered that the old dynojet kit that I have required parts to be glued into the main carb cavities... I don't think i'm going to remove them after all...

Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 AM

So does anyone know how I can get the lock nut off the clutch center without the clutch basket holder tool?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by switched
So does anyone know how I can get the lock nut off the clutch center without the clutch basket holder tool?
Flathead screwdriver ball-peen hammer impact gun?

Last edited by F2Resurrection; 03-28-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 AM

I haven't had too much time to do anything to the bike, but I did finally check valve clearances. Everything actually came in pretty close to spec, and considering this is a bike with 64k miles, i'm more than happy. I have 2 exhaust valves out of spec, and 1 intake valve out of spec. I was also able to swap some shims around, and ended up only needing 1 new shim.

Here are some pics for those that are interested.

Camshaft & camshaft cover:
Name:  VNFO1l.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  42.0 KB

View of the intake valve buckets:
Name:  hufOkl.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  55.6 KB

View from the top:
Name:  vqxGsl.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  65.0 KB

So now that everything's apart... how do I put everything back together? I'm not sure how to get the camshafts back in and realigned all nice and proper... Do I just loosen the cam chain tensioner, rotate the engine until the "T" mark on the pulse generator rotor aligns with the notch in the rotor cover, install the cams so that the "IN" and "EX" marks align with the cylinder head, and then mesh the cam chain back onto the camshafts?

Is there any way to double check I've installed things correctly?

Last edited by switched; 04-06-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: resized photos