F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Oil change blues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sand.Man
I wouldn't recommend re-using oil, and I really wouldn't recommend putting thread tape on your drain plug!

But, you're on the right track removing the oil pan... You'll have a hell of a time doing everything upside down lol.
Additionally, any thread repair with the pan on will leave aluminum chips in your oil. You probably don't want that running around your crankcase.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sand.Man
I wouldn't recommend re-using oil, and I really wouldn't recommend putting thread tape on your drain plug!

But, you're on the right track removing the oil pan... You'll have a hell of a time doing everything upside down lol.
Thread tape was for the insert. I read about some people using locktite on it too. The drain plug won't be getting any of that.

I bought new oil anyway. I was hoping I could re-use it, but you are probably right. Shame to waste it though.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Loctite is the only thing you should use on the insert... Red loctite, it's a permanent fix so you should make sure it stuck in there for good!

Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 AM

I wouldjust take the pan off and take it to a machine shop it would prolly only cost you as much as all the money wasted in parts to fix it. Then you still have a jacked up drain plug that i would feel iffy about. A machine shop should drill and tap that for about 20 or 30 bucks then your done no headache. Or you could just send it to sand man hell fix it right for you. Not trying to be mean just trying to keep you from more trouble down the road.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by dustinjklee
I wouldjust take the pan off and take it to a machine shop it would prolly only cost you as much as all the money wasted in parts to fix it. Then you still have a jacked up drain plug that i would feel iffy about. A machine shop should drill and tap that for about 20 or 30 bucks then your done no headache. Or you could just send it to sand man hell fix it right for you. Not trying to be mean just trying to keep you from more trouble down the road.
For sure. I actually checked with the only shop I could find around here. He said he could do it but he would have to order the stuff to do it. I did find a used pan though, so I am going to go that route for now. I am till going to try to fix mine, even if only for the learning experience.