Stealership blues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealership blues.

Long story short, had a Honda dealership service my bike some time ago, new plugs, air filter, tires, brakes, and told them to check the chain and sprokets. I found out six months later they cracked my air box and left off most of my fasteners. All to the sum of $700. They said my chain and sprokets were ok, but at the time I knew better and replaced them shortly after myself. I then decided to learn to work on my bike myself. I purchased a factory service manual and have sence checked valve clearances myself and so on. Well, the other day I had a flat (ran over a nail) and needed tires ASAP. I was planning on ordering tires myself and just taking the wheels to another dealership for a mount and balance job. I got in a hurry and decided to take my bike to a local Suzuki shop. They commanded some steep prices and boasted about great machanics and equipment. Well, my chain was adjusted way too tight and my bike was left out in the rain, no big deal. I loaded my bike, took it home, unloaded it, didn't even ride it. Two days later, front tire was flat. Wow..

Old 02-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stealership blues.

you need to find a shop that doesnt have people with heads up their asses. Best bet is to take the wheels off the bike yourself and find someone that is good at mounting and balancing tires.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stealership blues.

When I had to take my 06 to the shop, I asked to speak with the shop manager immediately. I usually talk with him for a couple of minutes about the bike how they do certain things at their shop. You can usually tell instantly if the shop manager is a good, honest person or is a sleezy douche-bag by using a few clever questions. If the shop manager is a good honest person, odds are the rest of the employees in the shop are too. But if the manager is a douche, usually the rest of the shop is too.

I also notice if they ask what kind of bike it is when I pull it into their loading bay. If the bike is in plain sight, they look at it, then ask what it is, I usually walk out. If a shop can't tell if it's a R6 or 600RR by looking at it, then they will have no idea how to take it apart/put it back together properly.

But then again, I'm picky with my shops. Improper maintenance on my bike could mean life or death, especially if your chain snaps at 80 mph on the highway.