F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Not starting in gear issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting in gear issue

So on my 94 it used to start in gear as long as the kick stand was up and clutch was pulled in.Then gradually started to not want to start,then it would not start at all unless it was in neutral.Took apart clutch side of handle bars and made sure the connections were all good and checked kick stand kill switch and that still works.I can't think or find any thing else.Any ideas?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, does the starter turn over or not. If the starter turns over but there is no spark to the plugs, I would suspect a problem in the ignition control module.

If the starter does not turn over, there is probably an open circuit in the clutch switch/side stand switch circuit. When you put the transmission in neutral, there is a separate closed circuit to ground that allows the starter to function.

There is a green/white wire that comes out of the clutch switch and goes to the kick stand switch. When the stand is up, and the clutch is in, there is a line to ground, which completes a circuit in the starter relay switch.

I recommend a continuity check from the input to the clutch switch to a good ground point - with clutch in and side stand up, you should get nearly zero resistance. If there is infinite resistance, check from the output of the clutch switch to a good ground point. If you now get zero resistance, there is a problem with the clutch switch.

If there is still infinite resistance, check from the input of the side stand switch to a ground point (with side stand up). If you have zero resistance, there is a problem with the wiring between the clutch switch and the side stand switch. If you have infinite resistance, there is a problem with the side stand switch.

NOTE - the side stand down kill switch is a different circuit from the side stand up starter circuit. The engine kill is caused by the ignition control module.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:19 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem solved

Turns out my problem is the aftermarket adjustable clutch lever.When adjusted on 3 or 4 it does not pull the clutch In enough to let it start.If I adjust it all the way out to 6 it starts.Thanks for the help though.