F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

No start, just click, roll starts perfect

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start, just click, roll starts perfect

just bought a 94 F2. Electric start doesnt work, Roll starts just fine. Just installed a working used starter and still nothing. Just clicks. Should I try the starter solinoid next? The fuse in it is good as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How old is the battery? Just because it might be reading 12V doesn't mean it has enough cold cranking amps to start the engine. Hook it up to a trickle charger overnight, if one is available, and see if it starts the next day.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that or your solenoid is bad - I've heard em do the click, but not be transferring juice across the contacts.

take a jumper cable connected to the positive of your battery and connect the other end to the positive lug on the starter itself - bypassing the solenoid. If the starter doesn't turn, you;ve got a battery or starter issue.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:49 PM

Last owner said battery is new, but ill put a trickle charge on it just to be sure.
I went out and connected the jumpers to the starter with just the positive and it didnt start??? I hooked up the old starter to the battery with both positive and negative and the stater turned. So maybe i need to hook up the ground on the starter that is in the bike too.

Last edited by young7.3; 07-20-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
that or your solenoid is bad - I've heard em do the click, but not be transferring juice across the contacts.

take a jumper cable connected to the positive of your battery and connect the other end to the positive lug on the starter itself - bypassing the solenoid. If the starter doesn't turn, you;ve got a battery or starter issue.

...or just put a screw driver across the starter solenoid terminals for far less effort :P

What was/is the batteries measured voltage when it's off?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 AM

12.something.Ill try the screw driver trick tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try bypassing the onboard starter circuit by taking a wire from the battery straight to the solenoid activation terminal.

If memory serves me correctly (mines currently running off a sperate switch as the starter buttons fubarred) when you look at the red connector on the top of the solenoid its the one at the back right.

You don't need a heavy guage wire and crimping a spade terminal on the end makes it easy to push in alongside the existing connection(you dont need to disconnect anything).

If it clicks and turns over (you dont need the ignition on) then the problem lies in either the starter switch or the wiring to the starter solenoid.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 PM

you may just need a new battery, as lame as that sounds. i had an old batt that appeared to take a charge (voltage was 12.7 all the lights worked fine etc) tried jumping solenoid... nothing. Replaced batt, good as new. if all else fails try a new battery.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Ill try a good batterey off the four wheeler. Also, just so i dont have to start a new thread, what are the positions for the fuel petcock?
Left=?
Up=?
Right=?

Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

down on
middle off
up reserve

The following users liked this post:
Tiredout (06-11-2021)

Quick Reply: No start, just click, roll starts perfect