F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Lost...!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lost...!!!!!

F2 is really getting on my last nerves......i cleaned the carbs real good. put new spark plugs...gapped them accordingly, my r/r connector was fried, installed a new connector. drained old gas and put new in.. bike will crank..but not start....... head lights work, turn signal and all that works, horn works, brand SPANKING new battery, man i dont know what to do now...need help...BAD!!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by kinglee86
F2 is really getting on my last nerves......i cleaned the carbs real good. put new spark plugs...gapped them accordingly, my r/r connector was fried, installed a new connector. drained old gas and put new in.. bike will crank..but not start....... head lights work, turn signal and all that works, horn works, brand SPANKING new battery, man i dont know what to do now...need help...BAD!!!!
Did you ever do a compression test like I suggested weeks ago?

And did you visually verify spark? Not just put in new spark plugs, but pull the plug with the wire attached, hold it to the engine and crank the bike for a second.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Did you ever do a compression test like I suggested weeks ago?

And did you visually verify spark? Not just put in new spark plugs, but pull the plug with the wire attached, hold it to the engine and crank the bike for a second.

yeah i did spark test and im getting spark....havent did a compression test as yet..dont even know where to begin on the compression

Old 02-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i did spark test and im getting spark....havent did a compression test as yet..dont even know where to begin on the compression
Go to autozone or somewhere similar - rent this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=424906_0_0_

Best to warm up the engine first, but since ti won't start, that's not an option. This should still give you a baseline.

Turn off your petcock.
Pull all 4 plugs, and lube the tester's threads with engine oil, screw the compression tester into cyl. 1. open the throttle completely, and crank the motor over with the starter. Stop when the gauge quits rising. This should take about 5-8 seconds of cranking.

Write down what the max was for that cyl. and repeat the process on the other 3 cyls.

You're not so much looking for a particular number, as much as looking for drastic differences between the cylinders (>10 psi.), although you hopefully will be in the 180 psi range according to the Clymer manual.

This guy acts like a tool, but he walks you through it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovvXn...eature=related

Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Have you verified you have your firing order right? the F2 is 1-2-4-3.

also - if you're getting spark, spray some starting fluid directly into the carbs while trying to crank and see if it hits.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 PM

firing order is right but dont have starting fluid....gotta go get a compression kit

Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 PM

??could i spray carb cleaner??

Old 02-05-2011, 01:35 PM

prolly so - I've even used WD-40 in a pinch to get a lawn mower I was working on to fire off.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 PM

i just sprayed some carb cleaner then it acted like it wanted to turn over all the way and smoke started to come out the exhaust....but the battery started to drain so i just put the trickle charge on and am i about to go buy some starting fluid

Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM

You say your R/R connector was fried, it has be the R/R if you have not replaced that. Has the right symptoms.

Quick Reply: Lost...!!!!!