F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Led Strobes and turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led Strobes and turn signals

Sooo.. I decided to change stock turn signals to LED and also planning on installing strobe lights for rear brake signal and also in front.
I have figured out that for the blinkers it is necessary to add resistors.
Do I have to add resistor for every blinker?

Idea is that rear taillight goes in to strobe mode when the brake is being used.
The headlight goes in to strobe mode when driving between lanes, so it should have some sort of switch mounted is easy to access area.

Is this even possible and how hard could this be? And also HOW TO DO IT?

I assume that turn signals could be fairly easy... I hope.

I think this mod could be very useful to attract drivers attention and to notice the bike. Especially when driving between the lanes in traffic jams.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by discobear
I have figured out that for the blinkers it is necessary to add resistors.
Do I have to add resistor for every blinker?
You don't have to add any resistors. Replace the stock flasher relay with an electronic flasher relay from Superbright LEDs. They're less than $9 and should plug right into your OEM connector. Your LED turn signals will flash at the normal rate. I have one of these on my CBR.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:14 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resistors aren't a good solution. They will slow the flash rate down, but they will also dim the LEDs. Jeff is right about the e-flasher, quick and easy.

As for the headlight, why not get a headlight modulator?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Lightbulb

Thanks for info. If I understand correctly, I need only one for all 4 blinkers? Sorry, my electrical skills are zero... for now.

I thought about headlight modulator, but it just flashes headlight. I mean the headlight uses stock incandescent (right?) bulbs and they are slow in reaction, they take time to brighten so the effect is "soft". The same problem may be with the HID bulbs as they also take time to brighten. In my mind LED's are "sharper" in blinking and therefore more noticeable.

I'm thinking of installing this type of strobes somewhere underneath headlight:
4 Watt Vehicle Mini Strobe Lighthead | Emergency Vehicle & Strobe Lights | Truck/Trailer | Super Bright LEDs
In these areas

Firs I thought maybe change headlight to LED bulb.. but LED's is not a good choice for night riding.

How about the small opening above headlight? Thinking of installing some sort of led strip in there it would look inconspicuous. As far as I understand that opening is for styling.. it does not have any actual use?

Pretty much this sums it all up, what do you think?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by discobear
Thanks for info. If I understand correctly, I need only one for all 4 blinkers?
Yes, the link I posted for the Superbright LEDs electronic flasher will work with up to 4 LED signals or a combination of regular signals and LEDs. As I said previously, I have one of these on my bike and it has LED signals on the rear and regular ones on the front. You just replace your stock flasher relay with one of these - you only need one of them.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

I would not advise putting the led flasher under the headlight cause when you bottom out the front suspension the front mud guard almost hits the front fairing so there's not much space left in there. If you put them somewhere deeper more near the radiator it would be another thing but it's not gonna fit screwed right to the fairing. If you have any use for white color LED turning indicators I have a set of four I could give away for free as they are illegal here so I don't have any use for them.

send me a PM if you want em.

Last edited by Mattson; 01-11-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 AM
June 2013 ROTM

You want strobes like that? You are just asking for your local LEO's to nail you. Many jurisdictions have laws against imitating an emergency vehicle. Not to mention some pissed off motorists who feel they got duped when they pull over to let you through.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Welcome Crew

I second that ^ in this state you have to have a legal inspection and sticker to run any kind of strobes on the street. And they also limit the colors. I understand why you want them, but I think perhaps it would be best to look for an alternative way to accomplish that.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM

Well I gave it another thought and I guess you are right, I will scrap this idea. Motorists may hate bikers even more after this

This was not well thought out idea.

Thank you all!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

Also, why are you trying to slow your signals down, but add strobes?
If you have other lights flashing at a faster rate why not leave your signals the same?