F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

High Pitched Whine after changing chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pitched Whine after changing chain

I changed my chain / sprockets last weekend and got them all sorted out. My rear wheel is aligned (as best as I can manage measuring with my caliper) and my chain has an inch or so of slack while sitting on the bike.

When I am accelerating I get this high pitched whining noise that increases with speed NOT RPM's. If I let off the gas or give it some clutch, the noise goes away. My first thought is that it's the chain. I checked and all the links seem fine, although the master link is a bit tight on one end but it does still move.

It almost sounds like the whining noise you hear when you downshift but... higher pitched.

Also the faster I am going the higher the pitch of the noise.

any ideas?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:11 PM

One trick to tell if the sound is indeed the chain is to move your left knee off the bike as you're riding. With your leg out of the way, it should be much more evident whether the chain is making the noise, or if it's something else.

If it's a minor whir, I'd probably not think much of it as long as the chain remains at the proper tension and is lubed every 500 miles or so. If you have a rear stand, you can also simply spin the rear wheel off the ground and listen for any abnormal chain noise. Lastly, simply look down the length of the chain and see if the way it's lined up with the rear sprocket is straight with its path to the front sprocket.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Thanks Fuzzy!

One thing when I spin the wheel, I can hear the brake pads scraping against the rotor. My buddy told me this is normal and not to worry about it... Ive been telling myself thats it... but you think that would happen all the time and not just with throttle...

Also, it sounds much worse at lower speeds than at higher speeds.

I'll take a close look when I get off work tonight!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 AM

Yea keep that chain at the right tensio, lubrication, and make sure its lined up with the sprockets. if it started whining after you installed the chain chances are thats the problem. if you cant figure it out then bring it to a bike shop, most of them are really nice and can tell you your problem with a quick glance.