F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Having fuel system problems -leaking & more

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having fuel system problems -leaking & more

I've never had a problem before with fuel, leaking or anything else. In the last two tanks I have had some major problems.

It started one day on the highway. I was headed out to pick some stuff up for work and was doing maybe 6 grand. Suddenly the bike starts surging. I give it throttle, let off throttle. It just dies. I move to side of road and it won't start back up without full choke. Starts up, revs to 5 grand and I am on my way. Next day, same thing happens. Starts surging/chugging then dies and won't start back up without full choke. I figured maybe the carb cleaner I put in there may have loosened some crap. Last two or three days, no problems with stalling and the bike ran fine. Filled up the tank last night and parked it.

This morning I ride to work without problem. When I leave for the day I notice fuel all over the ground under the bike. I try to start it and the starter won't even turn the engine. It hydrolocked. I finally got the starter to turn the engine a little and found fuel leaking all over the ground. I turned the petcock off and pulled the tank as I wasn't sure where the fuel was leaking from. Petcock held and no fuel was dripping when I pulled the tank. I couldn't find anywhere on the block or around the carbs where the fuel was leaking from. I then removed some bodywork and tried to start the engine yet again. This time it wanted to start and I saw fuel spraying out of the exhaust. I can only think that the fuel is somehow leaking past the carbs into the engine.

Anyway, get the bik started and all back together. Leave work and bam, bike dies and doesn't want to start even on full choke. After several minutes, it finally starts. I ride home without any further issue. I shut the fuel off when I parked it.

I need some suggestions as what to check for and clean. Based on other threads people have suggested petcock rebuilds, car rebuilds, new floats, etc. Problem is, I can't seem to find the rebuild kits listed for the carbs and petcock. They only show new stuff or kits for a single carb. Don't really have the cash to spend $200+ on parts that may or not fix the problem. What am I missing here when looking at the microfiche?

FWIW the bike is a 92 and has 42 thousand on the clock.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you got fuel coming out of your exhaust,more than likely you got a stuck float open somewhere.Clean your carbs then see if the problem continues! Maybe with the high miles it would be good idea to just get new floats and float vavles for your carbs. just my two cents.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM

I used to have the same issue when I first cleaned my carbs. I found out later that the carbs on the F2 are somewhat sensitive. And that goes for any carburators. But especially these f'n things.Anyway the neddle valve that opens and closes the flow of fuel to the main jet gets stuck open and floods everything. I had that issue when you were on the expressway and the bike surged.It was because the valve wouldn't adjust the correct amount of fuel to air ratio. So if you had the bike sitting for a while and had to clean the carbs, its my experience that once the gas deposits settle and stain the walls of the niddles bore.... ur Fu*ked... or get new carbs.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Found that once again the engine wouldn't crank because of what I assume is a fuel problem. So I pulled the carbs and found a few tablespoons of fuel sitting in one of the valve chambers on the very far left side. (#1?) This is even after completely cleaning every part of the carbs, so I'm going to just order a new float and valve and hopefully that solves my problems. Then just need to get them all synched again since they haven't ever been touche as far as I know.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:53 PM

mic.. how long is a while?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Now just keep in mind im no expert, im just giving you some of the solutions that I experienced with my bike. Not every bike has the same answers to the problem, it might be a combination of issues that's causing the problem.That being said, It happend when I first got the bike. I bought the bike used form a used bike dealer.
It had some notable throtle issue at the beggining but I knew itwas because it was sitting for a good while. So one of the first things I did when I got it home was to clean ot the carbs. There was varnish on everything, and road debris in some spots where the vents where. I know some of you would just dunk the whole thing in a vat of heavy duty carb cleaner but I opted to take all of it apart, clean every posible passage I could access. So once I was done put everything back together and turned it on... luvly. At first it was night and day from when i got the bike till that point. But the next day I began to have this throtle/overspill issue. I was nutty pisseed. After taking it apart two more time, I couldn't figure it out. I tried forum after forum but everyone had a different set of surcomestances that cause each specific persons problem. Till I stumble on this old bike forum(don't remember what it was), the guy said that once you let carbs sit for a while it causes all types of strange problems. The theory is that the varnish bonds with the metal surface that was not in direct contact with moving parts and causes gruves to form on the walls.
So if you remove something that was in a secific spot and not put it back the way it was you could posibly run into some binding in the up and down motion of the res/needle. being stuck in the bore the weight of the float wont over take the friction and cause said problem. So check eveything, varnish, foat condition(wet Float) etc..