F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

f4i gauge swap turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i gauge swap turn signal issue

i swapped the gauges out of my 93 for the f4i gauge, i purchased led turn signals to to use on the bike and nothings working. im trying to figure out why the turn signals arent working at all. when i flip the turn signal its not staying in either position and its not registering on the gauges either. im a little confused right now. im not sure if i hooked up the gauges wrong or if theres an issue elsewhere. any one have a pic of the harness im supposed to splice into for the gauges? and do i have to run the ground for the turn signals from the same harness?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this post https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...rite-up-91012/ and do a search in the 600 mods section for guages. These should help you check your wiring from the harness to the guage. Some of the wires change color at the splice. For the turn signals, you should be powering them off the 3-wire plugs lower down on the harness that the old ones used. I haven't done the the new LED turn lamps, so I can't comment on whether they require anything special . Hopefully one of the others will pipe up, on that front.

first though just dis-connect them and get your guages working, deal with
ONE problem at a time so that they don't compound each other.
Just go through real carefully and check each wire to it's mate for poor/wrong connections, based on the link's wiring chart.

Once you have your guages working, then fiddle with the turn signals. You'll have better
luck if you isolate each problem as you deal with them.

One last note, check all of your fuses, including the 30amp next to the starter relay (under the seat), might have blown a fuse while futzing around in there. ;-)

Ern

Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 PM

Thanks ern, do u know if the signal flashes if theres no light attached ?like when ur car has an out bulb it stays solid. Just curious I wanna know what I should expect to c on the meter.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:31 AM

I just swaped my f2 for f4i gauges. yess you will see a blinking on the gauge. check the fuze in the box by the coolant filler. if that fuze blows due to a short (happend to me) the gauges, horn and flashers wont work.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Little bit of progress, as I started trouble shooting the turn signal issue I figured itd be a good idea to take a look at the f2 wiring diagram to get an idea of whats what. so I figured id check the turn signal relay and continuity between the switch and the signals. I connected everything properly but I think the relay is garbage. I probably should have mentioned that the signals are all led. So I need a new relay anyway, but I thought the signals would work regardless? no fuses are blown but im still not getting any indication on my gauges, ill take a peek at the gauges themselves to see if somethings a miss. Thanks for the help guys.