F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Correct way to apply gasket sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct way to apply gasket sealant?

Hey kids.. I'm about to replace my stator cover and I have a new gasket and some hondabond..

I'm 'uber paranoid about putting too much sealant on there and having pieces come off inside and gunk up my stator and ****...

how much gasket sealant do I need and which order does it go on..? Like, do I put the sealant on the stator cover first and then gasket.. ? or put the sealant on the lower crankcase of the bike, then gasket, then cover..? or do I apply sealant to both sides of the gasket..?

Did a search but no one explaining the right way to apply the sealant.

Thanks!

Kaz

Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 PM

Last time I did a gasket, I just drew a thin line of it around the block side, put the gasket on, drew a thin line on the gasket then put the cover on and screwed it down.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM

Think of it this way. A little bit goes a long way. Right where the crankcases mate together put just a dab with your finger tip. Then put the gasket & dowel pins in place. Install & stator & cover. Watch your fingers as the magnet & stator are going to want to suck together pretty quick. Make sure both surfaces are clean of old gasket material & sealant. If you just put a dab in where the cases come together you shouldn't need any on the cover side of the gasket. If there is gobs coming out the outside of the cover once installed. It is doing the same thing on the inside of the cover. Also pull the little rubber piece that the wires go through out of the way & put some hondabond on the cover where the rubber piece rests & on the outside of the same thing. Sounds complicated but its really simple. Good luck to ya.