F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Clutch problem, I think!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem, I think!!!

I am new to sport bikes and fixing bikes. I have a 94 f2 and when I really twist on the throttle it revs up like the clutch is slipping. It only revs after about 5000 rpms. If you all think that it is the clutch, then the next question is, what clutch is the best to get for the money?

Thanks for the help, this site is great!!
Because of this site, I have $300 invested in my $500 motorcycle and that money is for the paint job. The previous owner couldn't get it started, so I gave him $500. I cleaned the carbs and resealed the petcock. It runs like it's brand new, except for the clutch issue!!

Ilook forward to the responses

Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming you mean while rolling down the road in gear with the clutch lever released, you roll onto the throttle and the bike revs up but doesn't pull until it has wound up the rpms a bit?

Your cable might just be adjusted a little tight, meaning the cable is sligtly pulling on the clutch @ rest.
how much free play do you have in the clutch lever - there should be 10-20mm of pull before you feel resistance really kick in.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also - have you changed the oil recently? What brand did you put in it? If you didn't put motorcycle specific, or comparable oil, in it then it could be causing the clutch to slip.

Standard automotive oil typically has additives that are great for motors, but not for wet clutches.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
also - have you changed the oil recently? What brand did you put in it? If you didn't put motorcycle specific, or comparable oil, in it then it could be causing the clutch to slip.

Standard automotive oil typically has additives that are great for motors, but not for wet clutches.
I was going to say that too. My buddy did that once and it acted almost exactly like that. His clutch would slip around 6k rpm. Make sure if you buy motor oil that is not for motorcycles it says "non-energy conserving" or it's going to make your clutch slip...

Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Definetely check cable adjustment 1st. I raced F2s years ago,and never replaced a clutch. Not saying yours isn't bad,just check the simpler things 1st

Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 PM

I had to replace the clutch on my F2. They do infact go out. You probably won't know how gone it is unless you've ridden other bikes extensively. What you're describing sounds like picture perfect clutch slippage. As already suggested, check for the cause of the problem in the following order, which is sorted in regards to cost/ease:

1- Check the cable adjustment. You want it to not be putting tension on the line when fully released, but you don't want too much slip. A nickle widths is typically fine.

2- You need to run motorcycle specific oil. Any other motor oil will cause problems.

3- With all of the aboe checked it... it's probably your clutch. If you can deal with downtime, you can pull the clutch cover (after draining oil or you'll get a mess) and pull the clutch goodness out. Check springs per the manual, along with fibers and plates.

I'm not broke though, and wanted peace of mind and a clutch that was going to rock the house. So, I slapped in an EBC SRK kit. It was the cheapest, it has absolutely everything (fibers, plates, and springs) and it works great. Good clutch feel, amazing grab, and it definitely isn't slipping anymore!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:44 PM

Thanks adrenalnjunky the cable was too tight. I did change the oil when I bought it, but used motorcycle specific oil. You guys are extremely helpful!!

I really appreciate the help!!!