F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Chain life

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Commander_Chaos
My F2 is my fast bike ��

​​​​​The little bit of racing I did was all in WERA vintage and AHRMA. I certainly wouldn't go to the track with an iffy chain and now that I have the tool for the rivet master links I'd go that route for a sport bike.
For safe street riding and certainly for my old Brit bikes I don't think the clip type is really a problem. For my rat chopper anything goes.
I'd still say use a clip on those as well. Old Brit and rat bike are notorious for being a little tweaked a lot of the time. And a bike that is out of spec means it can be harder or impossible to get the chain to run straight on them. A chain that doesn't run straight is the main reason clips get thrown. True, it's probably not as dangerous on these bikes if it happens, but being broken down during the middle of a ride over something as silly as a clip, well it's just silly. Rivets are just as easy and quick to install.

Originally Posted by Commander_Chaos
Speaking of passing tech, I once did a track day on the FZR600 I was racing in WERA and the tech guy raced in CCS. He had a bee in his bonnet about WERA's tech being too strict (I've never raced in CCS but this is what he thought). He saw the WERA sticker on my fairing and said "oh Christ you probably have everything wired" and passed me without looking at anything. I went back to my pit and rechecked everything myself.
Tech is always a lottery. It depends on the org and the individual you get that day. I've missed a few things over the years, on average tech seems to miss many of them too. But I'm sure they look at hundreds of bikes in a weekend. They won't catch everything. And, yeah, ccs is interesting - I'll just leave it at that.