F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Re: Chain wear indicator question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chain wear indicator question

I just bought a really nice 2002 F4i. Love it. The previous owner just changed out the chain prior to me buying it. He also changed out the sprockets to get more torque (rear 48, front 15). When I got the bike home, I noticed the chain was really slack and that the indicator showed the chain needed to be changed out (in the red). I adjusted tbe chain to the correct slack, all good. However, the indicator still shows that the chain needs to be changed out.

Now, assuming that the chain is new (I'm assuming the previous owner did not lie to me, seemed to be a very above board type and the bike is in excellent shape as advertised), I'm wondering if changing the sprockets causes the indicator to be off. The other possibility is tha when he installed the chain, he left an additonal link in there and the chain is simply too long.

So, I guess the question is: would a change in the size of the sprockets (48, 15) cause the indicator to be this far off? Not sue I want to deal with the hassle of removing a link only to find out that the chain is now too short.

Any insights? Thanks much.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 PM

The wear indicators are for stock gearing...any change will set them off. The best way to know if the sprockets and chain are new would be to look at the teeth on the sprockets and then look at how the chain sits against the sprockets.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like theres an extra link in the chain.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlew
I just bought a really nice 2002 F4i. Love it. The previous owner just changed out the chain prior to me buying it. He also changed out the sprockets to get more torque (rear 48, front 15). When I got the bike home, I noticed the chain was really slack and that the indicator showed the chain needed to be changed out (in the red). I adjusted tbe chain to the correct slack, all good. However, the indicator still shows that the chain needs to be changed out.

Now, assuming that the chain is new (I'm assuming the previous owner did not lie to me, seemed to be a very above board type and the bike is in excellent shape as advertised), I'm wondering if changing the sprockets causes the indicator to be off. The other possibility is tha when he installed the chain, he left an additonal link in there and the chain is simply too long.

So, I guess the question is: would a change in the size of the sprockets (48, 15) cause the indicator to be this far off? Not sue I want to deal with the hassle of removing a link only to find out that the chain is now too short.

Any insights? Thanks much.

Ignore the markings, they mean **** all, especially on a bike with non stock gearing.

If your chain is knackered then you wouldn't use the markings anyway. Easiest way is to pull a link away from the rear sprocket, if you get it to pull more than half the length of the sprocket tooth it is shagged and needs replacing. Also, your sprockets wear at a similar rate so they would be hooked, your chain might develop tight spots (i.e. when you measure the slack, spin the wheel and try again and you get huge variation) and develop stiff links, need frequent readjusting and just be in general a bit knackered looking.

If the chain and sprockets are in overall good condition but the markings were telling me to replace it, I'd do the sensible thing and ignore them.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Bingo to the second poster. An extra link in the chain. Removed it and all is good.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlew
Bingo to the second poster. An extra link in the chain. Removed it and all is good.

What benefit do you expect removing a link to produce?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

It will produce the correct position of the rear wheel in the axle. Longer chain= longer wheelbase. And we ALL know how everyone feels about extended swingarms on here, which do the same thing as running a longer chain.