F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs?

alright so i bought a 1994 cbr 600 f2 and the guy i bought it from said he took the carbs off and cleaned them and all i would have to do is put the airbox and the gas tank on and it will be good to go. so before attaching my gas tank i emptied to make sure there was no old gas in it and put about a gallon in there and i tried starting it, at this point it took a little bit to get her started but then she just died. when my older brother took a look at it he said the carbs might need to be synced. when the guy took them off to clean them could he have messed them up so they needed to be synced or could him not putting it back together and leaving them dry for so long messed them up. i need some input on this so i can figure out if it needs to be synced i'm low on cash as it is.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM

hey im in the same boat as u man......i havent sync my carbs but i did take them apart and cleaned them.....when i hooked everything back fuel was leaking out the carb real bad but then it stopped when i connected a vacuum hose between them. ...cant get to turnover..

Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dylan4380
alright so i bought a 1994 cbr 600 f2 and the guy i bought it from said he took the carbs off and cleaned them and all i would have to do is put the airbox and the gas tank on and it will be good to go. so before attaching my gas tank i emptied to make sure there was no old gas in it and put about a gallon in there and i tried starting it, at this point it took a little bit to get her started but then she just died. when my older brother took a look at it he said the carbs might need to be synced. when the guy took them off to clean them could he have messed them up so they needed to be synced or could him not putting it back together and leaving them dry for so long messed them up. i need some input on this so i can figure out if it needs to be synced i'm low on cash as it is.
were all of the carbs separated from each other? there is really no need to separate them to clean...but if he did your gonna want a tech manual to re-sync them....are you sure all of the vacuum lines are hooked up, for example the vacuum line to your petcock....if that's not hooked up no fuel will come out of the tank.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

choke cable properly reinstalled and choke operational?

Might take a good bit on choke to get the fuel bowls good and filled up.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 AM

If he took them apart to clean them, they will almost certainly need to be resynched. when you try an re attach all the carbs together, you have to tweak the sync screw all the way to get the return spring back in. even if they werent taken all the way apart, it is never a bad idea to sync the carbs any time you work on them, as it will improve performance overall and make the bike idle better and accelerate better. also, you may want to check the idle adjustment cable and see if maybe it needs to be opened a little. the only catch 22 is that in order to sync the carbs you have to get them running and rev the bike, there are a lot of things that can cause this issue, and you need to start at step 1 and work your way from the easy stuff to the hard stuff. check to be sure there is fuel getting to the carbs... well there is a lot that can be looked at, too much to go into in a post. if you check the fuel supply, petcock, idle screws, idle jets, etc, etc.... and all that stuff is good, get back to us.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 AM

MY BABY IS RUNNING AMAZING...i feel like an idiot though my fuel line was getting pinched and thats why it was having such a hard time getting gas after i noticed it and fixed it i hopped on it and took her for a spin, it is running better than ever...so now i just have to get it legal

Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 AM

glad to see it was something simple. as i said, fuel delivery....